Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jim I've heard many different opinions in regards to the use of whip struts. I recently purchased a Sanger mini cruiser that has two struts the regular and whip. I have a 1 Inch shaft unknown length (still at shop)I'm building a 496 stroker 10:12 to 1 merlin heads edlebrock rpm air gap manifold with a holly 850 marine carburetor mechanical roller cam 585 lift nothing to drastic I want it to be reliable and respectable if possible. The Sanger has a casele v-drive, Borg warner72c velvet drive transmission; I've talked to many sanger mini cruisers owers and none have the whip struts. So the question is do i need the whip strut or should i get rid of it. could it have been added on after it left sanger.
Thanks for any advice this is my first v drive project in about 30 + years.

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
My opinion is keep the whip strut. It does much more good than bad. For sure someone could have added the whip strut after the boat left Sanger.

Jim I've heard many different opinions in regards to the use of whip struts. I recently purchased a Sanger mini cruiser that has two struts the regular and whip. I have a 1 Inch shaft unknown length (still at shop)I'm building a 496 stroker 10:12 to 1 merlin heads edlebrock rpm air gap manifold with a holly 850 marine carburetor mechanical roller cam 585 lift nothing to drastic I want it to be reliable and respectable if possible. The Sanger has a casele v-drive, Borg warner72c velvet drive transmission; I've talked to many sanger mini cruisers owers and none have the whip struts. So the question is do i need the whip strut or should i get rid of it. could it have been added on after it left sanger.
Thanks for any advice this is my first v drive project in about 30 + years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts