Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Havasu & Anaheim Hills
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 26 Eliminator Daytona. Love the boat, the only issue is that with its 496 mag (not a 496 mag HO) it tops out at 72 mph. I have been crunching numbers and talking to different shops on various options to increase the power. One option is remove the 496 and replace it with a different engine like a Merc 525 or 600, or the other route, and much less expensive route, would be to supercharge the 496. Whipple sells a kit for the 496 and was wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on it.

Most have said that if you supercharge the 496 you need to upgrade to forged rods and pistons. Even with that expense, plus the cost of the Whipple this seems like the most cost effective route to increase power.

Any feedback on this would be appreciated.

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1149

Thanks, Walt

·
mach26 300's
1,216 Posts
i agree, get a bigger motor. the 525 will make that boat run nicely and is a awesome motor. or strap twin outboards on it if ya really wanna make it run nice:D

·
!%@#$
508 Posts
do the whipple, you will love it. It will give the hp when you want and still run at slow speeds very well.

I would double check to see what really needs to be done to the bottom end on a stock 496.

Racer

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
I have the whipple on my HO. Totally worth it. If you take care of it the motor will be fine; this kit is designed specifically for a stock 496 and whipple makes that very clear in the instructions. Feel free to PM me

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I DIG IT- here on the boards has one on his 496 in his nordic heat with no changes on internals and it runs hard and strong!! Pm him if you need some info.

Travis

·
Havasu & Anaheim Hills
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I have a call in to Whipple to see which kit I should get, the 496 or the 496 HO version since I am going to put forged pistons and rods in my 496. The HO version runs more boost. The boat runs 72 mph on a stock 496 now........I am hoping for 85 with the whipple.

Did you guys go to aftermarket exhaust or just stick with the stockers?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Thanks, I have a call in to Whipple to see which kit I should get, the 496 or the 496 HO version since I am going to put forged pistons and rods in my 496. The HO version runs more boost. The boat runs 72 mph on a stock 496 now........I am hoping for 85 with the whipple.

Good call on the forged internals. A good friend just learned this the hard way. As for the exhaust manifolds, stock is fine, if ya have the dough, a set of cmi's would help ya pick up another 40-50hp, but not needed. Be sure to take a lot of pics, and keep us posted. We love this shit. There are a number of members that have already done this, so if ya have questions along the way, be sure to put them out there.

Darrell.

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts

I have the stock exaust on mine; no issues at all. If you are runnin 72 now (gps I'm assuming), 85 should be no problem with the whipple....you're gonna need a taller prop, I would suggest getting a hold of a few different sizes to see what works best. You will be amazed with what this upgrade will add to your performance

·
Distinguished Member
412 Posts
Check with Dustin before you buy. The Mag has a different cam than the HO as well. If you are beefing up the bottom end, he may have some cam choice ideas to make the most out of the Whipple.

---Rob

·
Registered
388 Posts
I nicely built N/A 540, 572, or 598 would work great and not bust the budget. And you could keep or sell the 496ho. In the end I think you will be happier with the custom built motor or a merc blue.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I did what you are wanting to do last winter. It can be done for around $15000.00 without a bunch of extras, and cheaper if you can build your own block. Mine made 655hp and 714ft pounds of torque. It took my ride from 80 to 99 and, I am still waiting on another prop. I think about 105mph is about all mine will do.
If I had to do it over again I would get the Raylar heads. I was out of money at the time but, I think I left 50hp on the table. The only problem now is I want more hp. I will be watching for a used Teague 800 or 900 this winter.
Here is the build on mine http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=20876
Shoot me a PM and I can give you all the info you need.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I did the raylar longblock i put the raylar blower pistons blower cam raylar aluminum heads dana exhaust whipple charger , it took my 27 ultra shadow to 93 on gps with a 5 blade 30 maximus prop, boat was not fully dialed still had more to go.

·
The Insurance Guy
1,922 Posts
I did the raylar longblock i put the raylar blower pistons blower cam raylar aluminum heads dana exhaust whipple charger , it took my 27 ultra shadow to 93 on gps with a 5 blade 30 maximus prop, boat was not fully dialed still had more to go.
what did it run before the mods?

·
Registered
47 Posts
it would run 76 with the raylar 525 package with no aluminum heads, now consitant 93, ran 96 once but motor burnt a piston because fuel pressure was not diald in, still have not pushed it since the last rebuild

1 - 20 of 21 Posts