Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Fontana, one story home with ample attic space..need a ceiling fan installed. There is no box there now, and no switch either, just a wall switch going to a wall outlet.

Rather pay someone on here before i look in the yellow pages. Thanks!

Edit: The home was built in the late 80's if that helps at all.

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
This actually isn't that difficult to do yourself. I am no contractor, have never worked a day in construction or electrical in my life and did this same install in our old house a few years ago on my own. Just had to get up into the attic, find an electrical wire going to an outlet, then spliced into it. To avoid the switch issue I used a fan with a remote control. Just a thought if you want to save a few bucks....

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
To be with code you're not suppose to mix plugs and lights... just sayin. You can probably find another ceiling light circuit to pull off of, not difficult work, just time consuming, and HOT this time of year in the attic. Also box needs to be braced well so fan doesn't wobble around.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The best thing to get is a remote control unit from Lowes/ HD etc if you have no switch and dont feel like pulling power from a switch box.
If your house has an attic light depending on the run you have to make you can pull power from that wire it up to the remote box and your done.

I could take a look in your attic for you but with the heat righ tnow it's no fun.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
To be with code you're not suppose to mix plugs and lights... just sayin. You can probably find another ceiling light circuit to pull off of, not difficult work, just time consuming, and HOT this time of year in the attic. Also box needs to be braced well so fan doesn't wobble around.
That depends on local codes. Its legal here. Its not usually acceptable for new construction, but they'll allow it many remodel applications. The one main scenario its allowed is when someone converts a switched outlet to an overhead light installation.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
In Fontana, one story home with ample attic space..need a ceiling fan installed. There is no box there now, and no switch either, just a wall switch going to a wall outlet.

Rather pay someone on here before i look in the yellow pages. Thanks!

Edit: The home was built in the late 80's if that helps at all.
Not sure he does this kind of stuff but check with WishIknew here on the boards....you can't get a more honest stand up guy to do electrical work for you...

·
The Insurance Guy
1,920 Posts
That depends on local codes. Its legal here. Its not usually acceptable for new construction, but they'll allow it many remodel applications. The one main scenario its allowed is when someone converts a switched outlet to an overhead light installation.
Correct. When we sold the house, my install job passed the inspection. Only thing i did wrong was not strap down the wires. Couple staples and we were on our way

·
"Try it Now!"
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure he does this kind of stuff but check with WishIknew here on the boards....you can't get a more honest stand up guy to do electrical work for you...

Thanks for the info folks..i'm sure i can probably hammer it out myself..but wanted to have someone else do it as i don' thave the time

·
Administrator
11,501 Posts
I stand corrected. I based that on what I was told by the contractor that did our office work here in San Dimas. So I'm sure it varies from locale to locale.

·
8anned
4,041 Posts
Isn't that Rancho Fontana? You know you can always raise the real estate prices by adding "Rancho" in front of any city. :)coffee
Or "Heights" to the end of it. I live in Compton Heights.....sounds nice, doesn't it.

Andy it's Fontucky, not Fontana.:)sphss

·
Apache Lake Monger
882 Posts
I've installed 3 in our house each time learned a little more and cleaner intallation. But my catch is this house has no attic:|err so its a bit of a biatch fishing wire in the walls and ceiling. I've gotten pretty good at patching holes drywall:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.