Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
WHERE I AM IDAHO
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok from the beginning who copied who on drag boats did cole copy howard or canyon copy dimarco? did kurtis copy cole ? how did they all begin :)st

·
Registered
536 Posts
Boats Copied

This is what I know. Maybe a little off but should be pretty close. The first runner bottom was Hondo. They put a 3/8 plate on the bottom in 1972. Hondo & Ron Ehde. Sonny Demarco & Jim Cole were working on their version 3/8 bottom. Hondo , Demarco , & Cole came up with the 5/8 runner late 73. Everybody started splashing from there. Sanger Drag Runner was splashed from a version of a Demarco & put more rocker in it. Ray Casselli came up with the idea of the T deck. He took a sawsall and cut it out. He had been out of a boat 10 times & was tired of hitting his legs on the dash. Hondo built the first T Deck for him in the end of 73. That was the one he lost his life in. RIP. A lot of this info was gathered from old racers & builders over the years. If their are parts that are wrong let me know. I would like to here it. RACERICK

·
Upstanding Member
12,715 Posts
This is what I know. Maybe a little off but should be pretty close. The first runner bottom was Hondo. They put a 3/8 plate on the bottom in 1972. Hondo & Ron Ehde. Sonny Demarco & Jim Cole were working on their version 3/8 bottom. Hondo , Demarco , & Cole came up with the 5/8 runner late 73. Everybody started splashing from there. Sanger Drag Runner was splashed from a version of a Demarco & put more rocker in it. Ray Casselli came up with the idea of the GT deck. He took a sawsall and cut it out. He had been out of a boat 10 times & was tired of hitting his legs on the dash. Hondo built the first GT Deck for him in the end of 73. That was the one he lost his life in. RIP. A lot of this info was gathered from old racers & builders over the years. If their are parts that are wrong let me know. I would like to here it. RACERICK
I'm gonna stay out of this thread for the most part, but I believe you're confusing the GT deck with the T deck. T stood for "trick" and was the first cut away that Hondo did. The GT was a raised version of the T deck that came later. Carry on. :)

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
I'm with SS on this, no good can come out of this discussion...

2f8.jpg

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
For those who have information or knowledge on this subject, I'd like to know more also.
Even if it's an opinion, it might refresh someone else's memory.
I know there are some that have a pretty good idea of the history.

Please - Thank you.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm gonna stay out of this thread for the most part, but I believe you're confusing the GT deck with the T deck. T stood for "trick" and was the first cut away that Hondo did. The GT was a raised version of the T deck that came later. Carry on. :)

You are right. RACERICK

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
bottom line....there all Hondo's!
It's hard to argue that point.
There have been some changes here and there, but the concept hasn't really changed.
God, that's like 40 years.

If my memory is correct, nearly all of the big names either worked for the other, or with them at one point or another.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It's hard to argue that point.
There have been some changes here and there, but the concept hasn't really changed.
God, that's like 40 years.

If my memory is correct, nearly all of the big names either worked for the other, or with them at one point or another.
Not Jim Cole. :rolleyes:

·
WHERE I AM IDAHO
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my guess is ... and just that
1. hondo to > cole
2. cole to > kurtis
3. some how dimarco came to be probably from a cole
4. dimarco to > canyon
5 canyon to > bitz

·
Registered
1,554 Posts

My 1959 Biesemeyer 4pt Hydro Drag Boat

·
The member
3,244 Posts
1. hondo to > cole
2. cole to > kurtis
4. dimarco to > canyon
5 canyon to > bitz
Probably pretty close from what I have heard.... And let's not forget people this is really antique boat racing !!! That's why is dying...

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
1. hondo to > cole
2. cole to > kurtis
4. dimarco to > canyon
5 canyon to > bitz
I think the Canyon came from the Cole (#4)
Perhaps, if Dimarco came from a Cole, then Cole > Demarco > Canyon would be the same.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts