Performance Boats Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
My wife, who has now made work covers for many of the aforementioned boats, is becoming an expert in her own rite. Today she's making a cover for a 501 hydro and she shipped another today at noon from another 501. Both were splashes of the Kurtis - one was by Rick Bitz and the other someone back in the midwest but they are NOT the same caps, that's for sure.
She can't tell you much about the bottoms - for obvious reasons but she's getting pretty good at the caps from the different splashes over the years.
Just the Biesemeyer type boats are enough to drive someone crazy with all the evolutions that came from it and the bottom of the Biesemeyer is said to have come from an Aquacraft so even it was not an original. I'm beginning to believe Noah's ark started all this with everyone else being a copy-cat of sorts.

·
Distinguished Member
5,782 Posts
I think the Canyon came from the Cole (#4)
Perhaps, if Dimarco came from a Cole, then Cole > Demarco > Canyon would be the same.
Run that by Wayne, I'm sure he'll agree... :rolleyes:

·
WHERE I AM IDAHO
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
we can all agree I guess HONDO led the way for innovation for the runner bottoms and we all can speculate that some copied/splashed that boat to make changes to todays runner bottoms which I will say are all fabulas some better than others only because of testing changes, innovation and setup .I personally like my Kurtis its very stable, fast ,not fussy, sometimes can be a handful . It would be great to see the top runners all bottoms up laying side by side to see the subtle hull differences, its really hard to discuss rocker, air trap when they are all decked out on a trailer. I have done a few boats and bottoms but its nearly impossible to remember to a T what would be different besides the tunnel depth . I Appreciate everyone's input and do not mean to offend or point fingers its merely a fact finding mission for those that are too young or new to our great sport what want history and knowledge to help them know the boats.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
we can all agree I guess HONDO led the way for innovation for the runner bottoms and we all can speculate that some copied/splashed that boat to make changes to todays runner bottoms which I will say are all fabulas some better than others only because of testing changes, innovation and setup .I personally like my Kurtis its very stable, fast ,not fussy, sometimes can be a handful . It would be great to see the top runners all bottoms up laying side by side to see the subtle hull differences, its really hard to discuss rocker, air trap when they are all decked out on a trailer. I have done a few boats and bottoms but its nearly impossible to remember to a T what would be different besides the tunnel depth . I Appreciate everyone's input and do not mean to offend or point fingers its merely a fact finding mission for those that are too young or new to our great sport what want history and knowledge to help them know the boats.
I think you're right, Hondo certainly seems to be the original.
I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, if I did.
Pretty much anything I posted was from what I think that I remembered hearing or being told.

I also think it would be interesting to see the various hulls upside down just to compare the variations.
I have a Cole TR-4 and when I had it upside down, it looked a whole lot different from what I expected, even though I had been under the boat looking at the bottom many times.

·
The member
3,244 Posts
I think you're right, Hondo certainly seems to be the original.
I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone, if I did.
Pretty much anything I posted was from what I think that I remembered hearing or being told.

I also think it would be interesting to see the various hulls upside down just to compare the variations.
I have a Cole TR-4 and when I had it upside down, it looked a whole lot different from what I expected, even though I had been under the boat looking at the bottom many times.
What year is your tr4 ?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
So if a Cole TR3 was a improved version of a Cole TR1 and the TR1 was a splash off a early Hondo straight deck, what was the early Hondo straight deck a splash off? A Sanger?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Pretty sure it was Irvs own design for the most part. He was already building Brendella boats and decided to get into racing and started Hondo

·
Registered
688 Posts
Irv's wife Peggy had Hondo Boats Before she married Irv. RACERICK

Always heard and read that Irv started it and it went to Peggy when they divorced??? I know Irv had an auto shop and the name came from his old white German Shepherd Hondo...I've been known to be wrong before though

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
Yeah I guess to be completely sure we'd have to ask the worlds greatest to ever lay a brush in a bucket of resin Mr. James Brendel. I would venture to say Peggy got Hondo in the divorce and Irv started life over again with brendella. I also believe Hondo was the name of Irvs dog.

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
So if a Cole TR3 was a improved version of a Cole TR1 and the TR1 was a splash off a early Hondo straight deck, what was the early Hondo straight deck a splash off? A Sanger?
I'm pretty sure one of the changes in the boat designs during the late 60's or early 70's was they got narrower and generally a little longer.
I know my Cole is noticeably narrower than my '70 Stevens.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts