Performance Boats Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yeah I guess to be completely sure we'd have to ask the worlds greatest to ever lay a brush in a bucket of resin Mr. James Brendel. I would venture to say Peggy got Hondo in the divorce and Irv started life over again with brendella. I also believe Hondo was the name of Irvs dog.
Irv had brendella boats around late 50's to early 60's. They were ski boats. After the Divorce with Peggy He started Brendella Custom Boats. That what I've heard. Could be wrong but I have never heard anything different. RACERICK

·
Registered
388 Posts
Irv had brendella boats around late 50's to early 60's. They were ski boats. After the Divorce with Peggy He started Brendella Custom Boats. That what I've heard. Could be wrong but I have never heard anything different. RACERICK
Irv had a place on the river at 3 Rivers by Porterville, Calif., post Hondo, where he built the last Brendella's. These were not the comp ski boats. I'm a little fuzzy on the next fact but, if I remember correctly, that place either burned or was flooded.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Jim Cole raced Hondo boats and set records.Irv would not give him a new boat so he bought one and splashed it.That was the beginning of Cole Boats.He was a Chevron dealer in L A before that. :wink2:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Xh 511 ??

What a great thread,
I was wondering about the Hondo T deck runner and the XH 511 what's the difference? I just picked up a Hondo runner T deck and the seller said that it's not the XH 511.
Just wondering

·
Registered
497 Posts
What a great thread,
I was wondering about the Hondo T deck runner and the XH 511 what's the difference? I just picked up a Hondo runner T deck and the seller said that it's not the XH 511.
Just wondering
Lets see pics of the back of the boat

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
I was supposed to pick up the hull yesterday but due to the hitch separating from the trailer frame on the freeway (such smooth roads we have) I'll have pictures next week.

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
688 Posts
What a great thread,
Just wondering

xh511 was the first runner bottoms - experimental hull. They were the straight deck early runners....the T decks were xh-511T....the bottoms always changed but they never came up with new names like Cole TR's....they were always xh-511's as far as I know

·
Registered
272 Posts
Xh511

Ok, with a lot of research and reading posts, the hull that I have is a XH511. The way I understand it is the Cole TR1 is a splash off of this Hondo.
So my Question is : Other than making the bottom true (no bumps or sags) Is there anything else I can do to help the performance?

Thanks,
David

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
Ok, with a lot of research and reading posts, the hull that I have is a XH511. The way I understand it is the Cole TR1 is a splash off of this Hondo.
So my Question is : Other than making the bottom true (no bumps or sags) Is there anything else I can do to help the performance?

Thanks,
David
Yes . . . add 1/16" more rocker into the center runner. That is 1/16" ground down at the back of the boat, tapered to 0" at the strut. The boat will take a set way sooner say 1/4 track instead of 3/4 track.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Yes . . . add 1/16" more rocker into the center runner. That is 1/16" ground down at the back of the boat, tapered to 0" at the strut. The boat will take a set way sooner say 1/4 track instead of 3/4 track.
As I don't have any keel left at the transom now and as Jim Lang stated the XH511 has 3/4" more rocker than the TR2 which made the TR2 more forgiving.
Am I reading your post wrong?

Thanks,
David

·
Old Timer
1,139 Posts
As I don't have any keel left at the transom now and as Jim Lang stated the XH511 has 3/4" more rocker than the TR2 which made the TR2 more forgiving.
Am I reading your post wrong?

Thanks,
David
I had an old straight deck Hondo XH511 that I ran in NJBA. The bottom was a stock as I could tell. It ran 96 mph. It did not set until almost the finish line. I was advised to perform the bottom work I described. When I flipped the boat over it appeared to have almost no rocker from the transom to the strut. After making the change, the boat ran 103 and set at 1/4 track. Now maybe that old Hondo straight deck was different than latter T-Decks. As far as more forgiving, I could run a Circle Boat race with it before the mods.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had an old straight deck Hondo XH511 that I ran in NJBA. The bottom was a stock as I could tell. It ran 96 mph. It did not set until almost the finish line. I was advised to perform the bottom work I described. When I flipped the boat over it appeared to have almost no rocker from the transom to the strut. After making the change, the boat ran 103 and set at 1/4 track. Now maybe that old Hondo straight deck was different than latter T

Did you extend the chines out to the transom also?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts