·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did they ever get it to perform right ?

·
Registered
462 Posts
I'm not sure about the Daytona from a while back, but hop on Texas Hot Boats on Facebook and post about it. There's a guy that just finished a Liberator I think last year with one on it. He posted some first outing results on there but I never did really follow it.

·
Premium Member
3,359 Posts
I believe Tony in Sacto bought it a while ago. (hiline on the forum). He told me that when he picked up my Cole last summer. Looks like the surface drive is gone. Jocko

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it appears no one has ever made the arneson drive work good on a small tunnel hull boat like a 19 or a 21 then.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
So it appears no one has ever made the arneson drive work good on a small tunnel hull boat like a 19 or a 21 then.
there was a friend of mine here that put a brand new arneson drive on a 2001 tunnel 22 ft daytona with 1350 hp and they couldnt make it work. He removed a b max drive that worked really well then the boat burned up beyond repair due to fuel injectors shooting fuel while he had plugs out spinning it over. Dumb move.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
One of Arneson's first boats that he used to run the Delta with was a 25' tunnel, Sanger I think, with a turbine eng. back in the early 80's.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
One of Arneson's first boats that he used to run the Delta with was a 25' tunnel, Sanger I think, with a turbine eng. back in the early 80's.
Huge difference. There was Sanger/Skater true tunnel, 24 ft I believe, could have been a 23.
Not a 21ft with a with a center pod stuffed up its ass.

I think Arneson's turbine was a 26.

I believe they were 29 Sanger Alley Cats (he built 4 of them). I don't know if he built anything smaller than the 29's.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I believe they were 29 Sanger Alley Cats (he built 4 of them). I don't know if he built anything smaller than the 29's.
They built them all the way down to 20ft. I know someone that had a 23 or 24, with outboards. I believe Arnesen built a smaller Alley Cat(23-24) with one of his drives, but I don't think Arnesen or anybody else stuck a turbine in one smaller than 26

http://www.performanceboats.com/pb-open-water/110904-all-new-20-sanger-alley-cat.html

23' Sanger Alley Cat redo

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Sanger-Alley-Cat-2646425/Annapolis/MD/United-States#.Uz-AjodOXrc

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
They built them all the way down to 20ft. I know someone that had a 23 or 24, with outboards. I believe Arnesen built a smaller Alley Cat(23-24) with one of his drives, but I don't think Arnesen or anybody else stuck a turbine in one smaller than 26

http://www.performanceboats.com/pb-open-water/110904-all-new-20-sanger-alley-cat.html

23' Sanger Alley Cat redo

1987 Sanger Alley Cat Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I knew they built smaller Alley Cats. A friend of mine used to have a 24 or 26 with twin outboards. I also followed that restoration thread on that orange & white 20.

What I was saying was that I didn't know if they built anything smaller than a 29 with the an Arneson drive.

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They always looked like a good strong drive but it seems like they had too much tail lift for a small hull.

In looking at the drive it seems like it needed another U joint near the end of the prop shaft with a bearing carrier where linkage connected so it moved up and down parallel rather than just swinging an arc. Kind of like a 4 link suspension on a drag car.
That would change the angle of the prop wash so it wasn't prone to so much tail lift.

Attachments

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
They always looked like a good strong drive but it seems like they had too much tail lift for a small hull.
Yah, I was talking to Bob Leach on the phone one day and he was telling me about this surface drive boat an how it had so much tail lift that it would try to bury the nose and submarine. I bet it runs hard now with that I/O on it.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
I think I remember the same extension box on there with the drive. I know it houses the transmission but if it was not so far set back it would have less lift/leverage and might work better...but then where the hell does the trans go? Also creating lift was the large bravo prop hub and the housing it bolts to. Anything angled down with surface area is going to create lift. I know arneson makes drives with smaller housings vs the one previously on this boat which was designed to use bravo props. Could have tried an elephant ear prop but that is counter intuitive to me when thinking cats/tunnels which typically do not need bow lift...and like cleaverish low cup type props. Maybe a low pitch cleaver prop with high rake paired with a higher gear would be the answer? This would do a couple things...reduce stern lift and crabbing. My head is spinning. ..This is one I wanted to see work.

Oh well....I have entertainment here with gn7, haas, and unchained...that will get me bye

·
Highaboosta
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
. ..This is one I wanted to see work.

Oh well....I have entertainment here with gn7, haas, and unchained...that will get me bye
I wanted to see it work also. I can see the challenges involved.
It's going to take something drastic to make it work if it's even possible on a small hull.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The Blackhawk on the smaller Daytona doesn't work either.
REALLY:wtf:
funny,i have seen the Cheyanne (modVP bottom like daytona) with nascar motor and BH drive run lap times with the best at Enduro:))THumbsUp

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
REALLY:wtf:
funny,i have seen the Cheyanne (modVP bottom like daytona) with nascar motor and BH drive run lap times with the best at Enduro:))THumbsUp
I believe you'll find that boat does not have nearly the same center pod as the 21 Eliminator. Not even close. In fact, as I remember, that boat had to be given a "hall pass" to run.
Even at that, it was NEVER impressive at the endure. Interesting and unique, but not impressive. It was a never a threat, and certainly far less than many expected it to be. I like the boat and the idea, and it certainly holds more promise than the Eliminator with the Arneson, or any Eliminator that size that I know of with a BH. But it wasn't all that the last time it ran the enduro for what a surface drive tunnel is capable of. I would never compare it to a E.T. It'd get smoked!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 68 Posts