Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FINALLY going to water test my boat today. Anybody want to guess what I'll hit RPM/MPH?

1978 Bahner 18ft w/ delta pad bottom. Bone stock 454 (pulled from a '77 pickup). Holley 750DP. Timing @ 34deg total. Berkeley 12JG with "A" impeller and Place Diverter. Boat is extremely stripped down, just two fiberglass bucket seats. No carpet, no ski tunnel, no bulkhead, etc...

I'm hoping to at least do 52mph/4400rpm LOL but have a helluva lot of fun doing it.:D

·
no need 2 fake it.
1,702 Posts
FINALLY going to water test my boat today. Anybody want to guess what I'll hit RPM/MPH?

1978 Bahner 18ft w/ delta pad bottom. Bone stock 454 (pulled from a '77 pickup). Holley 750DP. Timing @ 34deg total. Berkeley 12JG with "A" impeller and Place Diverter. Boat is extremely stripped down, just two fiberglass bucket seats. No carpet, no ski tunnel, no bulkhead, etc...

I'm hoping to at least do 52mph/4400rpm LOL but have a helluva lot of fun doing it.:D
howcome ya took the bulkhead out??

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bulkhead was just a floater, wasn't actually attached to anything but the ski tunnel, and the ski tunnel was just slid under the deck. Nothing was glassed in anywhere. There was a thread under Shoemaker's area with pics etc talking about it. I think Cowboy Mike started the thread. His Bahner is wide open under the deck as well...or at least it was. I will probably glass in a real bulkhead soon

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts

I had basically the same set up as you in my old bahner.
72mph right around 5k

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you were going to sell it on ebay, I'd say you would hit about 105:D

My guess would be 62 @ 4600. Do you have OT headers?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What a day :mad:....

Washed the boat and thoroughly dried it out, making sure that there was no residual water in the bilge or anywhere else for that matter so that the friendly ranger service would not make claims of mussel infestation. Went down and put 11 gallons of gas in it and by the time I got back to the house found about 1 gallon of my freshly purchased fuel in the bilge!! After going over everything and eventually pulling the damn tank out found the sending unit gasket was leaking badly (to say the least). This lead to the usual (we have all been there) thrash to scrape together a good fix on the fly. Eventually got it back together and decided to fire it up and make sure all was well....which it wasn't. Apparently my local gas station was supplementing their fuel with plenty of water:)st. After a couple of filter replacements and a healthy dose of HEET additive to remove the water (which surprisingly worked very well), back in business! Had to clean out the bilge once again (due to all the fuel) and jammed down to the lake in an attempt to beat all the Holiday traffic. The nice ranger spotted the smallest amount of residual moisture and promptly quarantined the boat for the next 8 days! FML!

But on the plus side I spent the day working on a boat and drinking beer with great friends....and now more people have a chance at guessing what this little boat will do LMAO. I will update all as soon as I can get it in the water, next weekend! Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend:partyguy:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
LEO has a job to do... but I was once told by a respected Police Chief an issue was sometimes more about the "spirit of the law , and not always the Letter of the law" , Had a similar encounter with a ranger on a resto, we did politley explain that the boat had not seen water in 10 years , he still insisted on the "full tilt Muscle inspection" and then wetted down the chrome and polish with a hot water bath from a pressure washer ;) Tom

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hear ya on that. This boat last saw water in 1984!!! But I can't blame them too much. For all they know I could have been lying. In the end I got some more time to go through it a bit more and tie up some more loose ends. Hopefully there will be no more issues for the next round.

·
Registered
196 Posts
72 mph @ 4900 rpm thats what my Bahner did before engine build with the same set up JC pump A impeller and a PD.... 2 people (well 1 and a 1/2 my wife is only 4'9" and 100 lbs) and 15 gallons of fuel on a GPS

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Perris

This was Lake Perris, CA. They have Park Rangers perform inspections at the gate. The guy was pretty proud of the fact that they have no muscle infestation on the lake thus far....
YUP lake POOPOO! went there 2 years ago with my Tunnel Dragster with Water mist out the Bassetts to break in a new cam and Ricky poopoo ranger pulled me over. 2 Trainee cops 1 real poopoo ranger pulled me over 100 feet from launch ramp said too loud.....I said WTF! why the hell did he let me get it off the trailer then!!!!! He was watching launch! Had inserts too! Junior wanna be boat cop! never again poopoo! got my money back for 2 minutes on the lake...........Take your boat to Elsinore better friendly cops there and no floating DIAPERS.:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just had that same discussion LOL. Elsinore will be the place to test and tune going forward. Perris is such a let down. It WOULD be so convenient since I am 10 minutes from the launch ramp, but not worth the headaches anymore...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts