Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the ever increasingly crappiness of CA has us seriously weighing the pros and cons of making a move to AZ. The company I work for has a corporate office in Chandler, AZ. and if the right job came up I would be very tempted to jump on it. With the lower cost of living it appears I would virtually get a raise even with the same amount of income. We have two young kids (3 1/2 yo & 3 month old) and all our family is here in Cali so it would be a serious commitment to pick up and move out of state.

Who here has made the move from Cali to AZ? Looking back on the whole thing would you do it again? What were some of the pros and cons of the whole experience?

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
Once your there, you'll want to come back. At least that's my story, but I left the beach. Been back to the beach for almost a week.. Can't even imagine going back now.

·
Registered
19,804 Posts
were still gonna do it .weve been in so cali for 49 yrs kids r 14 and 10 and they even want to get out of this traffic jammed cancer causing life shortning traffic hell whole we call heaven but were going to washington or colorado..were just afraid of the big move but i lost my job anyway..

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
I wish I could do it:)devil

·
Registered
274 Posts
Made the move from N.Kentucky (Cincinnati area) to Tempe 2 months ago.
Loving it so far.
But, still looking for work.

·
It is what it is
2,650 Posts
Well, the ever increasingly crappiness of CA has us seriously weighing the pros and cons of making a move to AZ. The company I work for has a corporate office in Chandler, AZ. and if the right job came up I would be very tempted to jump on it. With the lower cost of living it appears I would virtually get a raise even with the same amount of income. We have two young kids (3 1/2 yo & 3 month old) and all our family is here in Cali so it would be a serious commitment to pick up and move out of state.

Who here has made the move from Cali to AZ? Looking back on the whole thing would you do it again? What were some of the pros and cons of the whole experience?
Chandler is nice, it's like the OC with out any green landscaping.;)

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
We would love to move if there were jobs there for me.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
We relocated to Scottsdale from Anaheim Hills almost 2 years ago after having our daughter. It took a little getting use to the summer heat. And 10 months for my wife to find a job.

It has turned out to be the best thing we've ever done. My wife landed her dream job, we found a awesome home we could never afford in OC and we're 30 minutes from 2 launch ramps.

I'd still like to buy a home in SD somewhere close to the beach. I just wouldn't want to raise my kids there.

Go for it! You can always move back if you don't like it here.:)hand

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
You cant come over, the border is closed.........:D
:)devil

Jus Funnin.

It all depends on where you move too. PHX, East, West, North or South. Havi Bullhead, Yuma or Parker. Maybe Tucson or Flag. In Phoenix you'll have 6 lakes to choose form all year round. Tucsonians usually hit Apache and Roosevelt. If your moving to the Colorado river section of AZ its gunna cost the same as Cali and most your neighbors will be from Cali :D What, Im just saying. You might feel more at home.

Now Chandler is nice. There are still properties that have land. Some without a HOA. Look real good 1st. Most have HOAs and they're all run by HOA Nazi's. I like the QC area. Far from the rat race and still far enough from AJ;) Even AJ is nicer these days. Scottsdale, keeping up with the Jonezes. But real nice the farther north you go. West side is all fairly new. Lots of young families and gangsters too.lol. I guess all areas are the same good and bad spots. Try to find a nice area close to work. 101 / 405 same traffic just scaled down.

Its just a tad less expensive till you see your 1st electric bill then its WTF. I should of stayed in Cali:D You learn quick when to run your AC at 70° Then if if your on or near water like me you don't get that DRY HEAT. Its more like a soggy hot I want to take another shower to cool down type heat.

Please, Don't bring that Cali treehuggin save the spotted owl crap here if your into that. We got enough of that. A native cant even walk down to the Circle K with their side arm anymore without some cali implant freaking out and calling a rookie copper to ask me "What is this all about, the pistol deal" If you have to ask. GO BACK HOME.

Weekend life Awesome. We still have a few open areas for off road and camping desert style. 6 lakes and the river is 3hrs away north to Havi & Yuma to the south. Glamis is 2 to 3 hrs away. Lots of bars and good restaurants. Pason & Sedona / Slide Rock to cool off just a few hrs away.

I've met the most incredible people here. Nicest most forgiving folks from all over. Most are native, the newbies have fully assimilated.

Oh and brush up on your spangalish:D

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
:)bulb let see, sit on the p.o.s. 5 or 405 freeways or deal with minimal phx traffic, well thats a no brainer !!, beware, we in phx have lots of dumbass drivers and lots of red light runners, we also have tons of "uninsured" drivers, and of course our fair share of "illegels" with no insurance !!!, crime & gangs are just as bad in phx as anywhere else, you better love the heat, 100+ degrees from May till Sept !!!, you better have a pool to destress, or a boat to hit the lakes.
I moved back to so.cal on an interim basis for two years about 5 years ago, and I know why I left and never wanted to come back, the freeways alone are a life sapping reason !!!!!!!!
good luck on your decision, Chandler is a good place to live.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Almost two years now made the move from Simi Valley to Chandler...never think about going back and half the drive to Parker. Chandler is close to Tempe 15 min to Scottdale, 15 to the Airport, lots of new places and things to do....I work in Chandler as well......like you my company had facilities here...so I could really go anywhere, TX, CA......AZ is nice cause it is close to CA to see family, close to the Riv......miss the beach from time to time....but you just plan trips...

·
Registered
884 Posts
Think about is more and more everyday.
Since I grew up in North Scottsdale, it would be easier for me.
Just need to find a job in PHX, and get the fiance onboard.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We made the move 2yrs ago this month from the san fernando valley to Gilbert and we would never go back,i hate going back to visit cause of traffic and how dirty L.A. is! We made the move with no jobs and i landed a sweet job as a boat mechanic and wouldnt trade it for anything!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just need to find a job in PHX, and get the fiance onboard.
Hell, 10 years ago I moved from Toledo to Pittsburgh, and the girlfriend had the choice to follow.
We got married two years later.
Now her job took us through Six years in Kentucky, and now AZ.

Getting the fiance onboard is easy. Just tell her this is what you're going to do, and don't argue about it, or even discuss it.
Kinda sets the ground rules.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We made the move 2yrs ago this month from the san fernando valley to Gilbert and we would never go back,i hate going back to visit cause of traffic and how dirty L.A. is! We made the move with no jobs and i landed a sweet job as a boat mechanic and wouldnt trade it for anything!
Are you hiring?
I'm still looking for a gig.

·
228 Posts
Made the move 2 yrs ago this next month from So Cal and Haven't looked back since. My son was 3 at the time and figured more time with him would be best. Cut my boating commute down from 4 hrs to 4 minutes also!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts