Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to mirror our family room d-tv to a monitor in the kitchen desk workspace area. So far all the 22-25 inch monitors I've found are HDMI input and computer pin input only. I want to use the monitor as a tv and a computer. Any suggestions?

·
Send It!
50 Posts
I plan to mirror our family room d-tv to a monitor in the kitchen desk workspace area. So far all the 22-25 inch monitors I've found are HDMI input and computer pin input only. I want to use the monitor as a tv and a computer. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a cool idea but I'm guessing you'd need to go coax > QAM tuner > 22-25 monitor?

Also - I think you only get video with HDMI, you won't get audio.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982319

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a cool idea but I'm guessing you'd need to go coax > QAM tuner > 22-25 monitor?

Also - I think you only get video with HDMI, you won't get audio.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982319

Wow. That's a lot of info. I don't need the kitchen monitor/tv to have a tuner since it is just mirroring the main TV image out of the Dtv HD box. I may have to boost the signal though. The HDMI appears to do both video and audio. But I need a way to take the HDMI and split it into 2. One side goes to my Main tv and the other coverts to coax to the kitchen monitor.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. So what I'm seeing is that I can split the the HDMI with a splitter or a multi switch (witch may be better due to signal strength). And I'll probably need to run a 40 foot hdmi along the coax location that comes out into the kitchen work space area.

Why do I get involved in these headache projects?:)coffee

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you are try to convert HDMI to coax, then you'll need a down converter. It would be cheaper to buy another DTV box. It gets to be a project to down convert HDMI. Splitters are not a good idea as this will degrade the signal to both TVs.

·
Above The Wet Spot
491 Posts
Corey, let me know if you want to get a local hook up for AV stuff. the guy i used is very resonable and has a few tricks up his sleeves.

Long range HDMI cable can be built out of cat5.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of info. I don't need the kitchen monitor/tv to have a tuner since it is just mirroring the main TV image out of the Dtv HD box. I may have to boost the signal though. The HDMI appears to do both video and audio. But I need a way to take the HDMI and split it into 2. One side goes to my Main tv and the other coverts to coax to the kitchen monitor.
This doesn't make much sence? Are you trying to convert HDMI to coax (for the distance run) then back to HDMI?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This doesn't make much sence? Are you trying to convert HDMI to coax (for the distance run) then back to HDMI?

Coax to the dtv box. 1 hdmi out of the dtv box. Coax leaves the main tv area and goes to the kitchen area to mirror the main tv. This was set up for coax cable in 1999 so all you had to do then was add a splitter.

All new tv's/ monitors have hdmi inputs. I have yet to find one with a coax input.

So I need to split the 1 hdmi out of the dtv box and run it to the kitchen or find a way to convert it to run through the existing coax then back to hdmi to enter the tv.

Sorry. I'm not a best buy tv tech.:D

·
Registered
810 Posts
AVAD is a great source for all HDMI Stuffs... they carry only best brands.

Liberty Wire & Cable also have best of the best as well....
NOTE: ALL MONSTER STUFF & MARKETING ARE ... Well, VERY QUESTIONABLE. I WOULD BUY ROCKETFISH AT RETAIL BEFORE THEM.

ULTRALINK PRODUCTS ALSO MAKES GREAT STUFF !!!

·
Registered
797 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Coax to the dtv box. 1 hdmi out of the dtv box. Coax leaves the main tv area and goes to the kitchen area to mirror the main tv. This was set up for coax cable in 1999 so all you had to do then was add a splitter.

All new tv's/ monitors have hdmi inputs. I have yet to find one with a coax input.

So I need to split the 1 hdmi out of the dtv box and run it to the kitchen or find a way to convert it to run through the existing coax then back to hdmi to enter the tv.

Sorry. I'm not a best buy tv tech.:D
Ok, now I get it. The only way to get the signal to the TV/monitor would be to have a tuner or have another DTV box near by. With your set up you won't able to mirror the main TV without spending more then it would cost for another DVT box and service. http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5303

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That product will be more expensive then adding another cable/dish/dtv set top box and paying for the service. Gefen's msrp is $799 for a HDMI over coax. There is a less expensive way to do it over cat5 http://www.svideo.com/500400.html

Winna winna chicken dinna!

That's how I'll have to do it.:)devil

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, now I get it. The only way to get the signal to the TV/monitor would be to have a tuner or have another DTV box near by. With your set up you won't able to mirror the main TV without spending more then it would cost for another DVT box and service.
No more dtv box's for me. I just need it to mirror the main tv image. So the Cat 5 set up with a hdmi splitter at the dtv box looks like the correct set up.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Dude you always bring or dredge up the absolute worst of the worst in Chinese sub-par knock off compoennets that are questionable in their ability to deliver a digital signal..
RECOMEND A COMPANY THAT ACTUALLY HAS AN ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT... the buy and sell guys at the lowest common denominator of cost will only frustrate you..

·
Registered
810 Posts
Cdog, better make sure that splitter you get is HDCP COMPLAINT together with the components you you are useing OR you will have to try to return it all or some..... ALSO, make sure all you choices are certifiable "HDMI 1.3" or "High Speed Certified" and you are able see the ATC Certificate... OR again, you have to try and make a return....

Just trying to save you time, and aggravation...

-R32

1 - 20 of 24 Posts