Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
It was Joe Shulman's boat that he sold over a year ago. Andrew Games said that the Morse steering broke.

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
It was a dual cable system, even IF one cable breaks you should not lose control. This boat was rigged to the hilt and the cables were safety wired to the helm. I find it hard to believe that cable failure was the cause. There is a thread up over on RDP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad to hear that nobody was seriously injured in the mishap its a shame that boat went over it was a really cherry piece.

I have not talked to the new owner who is a very experienced driver so I do not know first hand what exactly happened?

But that boat did have duel opposed 3/8 Morse cables with safety wired bolts and two safety collars on the rudder that always was very smooth and is a common set-up in lots of cruisers.

Hallett Vector 005.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am fairly new in the boating world, and this has me worried pretty bad. I just put big power in my boat, and it is very clear that I have a lot to learn, and a lot of things that i need to pay close attention to from a mechanical stand point. Thankfully the people are safe. This will definitely be a reminder for me, and a lot of people running these style boats.

·
Registered
683 Posts
If someone knows what happened it would be nice for the rest of us to know. We don't need this happening again if it can be avoided. Next time people may not walk away from it.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Welldigger, there are quite a few cruisers running around with cable steering from Calgo and Morris. I rea a 22' Schiada with a Caalgo unit years ago with no problems but it wasn't a big powered boat at all. (65MPH) but if I were to build another cruiser today I wouldn't touch a Calgo or Morris type unit at all. I would go with a good Hydraulic steering system or a Stainless Cable system like most use in Flatbottoms. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the cable systems but I just wouldn't trust either one of them. That is just my humble opinion. There is just to much money at risk not to mention my health. It will be good to find out what actually happened to the Vector and to not have to speculate.

Steve

·
Registered
155 Posts
Welldigger, there are quite a few cruisers running around with cable steering from Calgo and Morris. I rea a 22' Schiada with a Caalgo unit years ago with no problems but it wasn't a big powered boat at all. (65MPH) but if I were to build another cruiser today I wouldn't touch a Calgo or Morris type unit at all. I would go with a good Hydraulic steering system or a Stainless Cable system like most use in Flatbottoms. Not to say that there is anything wrong with the cable systems but I just wouldn't trust either one of them. That is just my humble opinion. There is just to much money at risk not to mention my health. It will be good to find out what actually happened to the Vector and to not have to speculate.

Steve
I guess it could be said that nothing is infallible. Even a hydraulic system could blow a hose, or fitting, or have a pump seize, or throw a belt. The lesson to be learned is this: preventative maintenance, and a thorough inspection on a regular basis is not to be over looked, especially the faster you go. There is not much to check when you start with a paddle board. When you go a little faster, like a canoe, you have a few more things to look at. Then when you go boston whaler, it jumps to a whole new level. It's exponential from there. As a fairly new boater, I can tell you that I WILL be learning from this. I also understand that shit happens, that's why they call it an accident. I feel for this poor guy, it is such a bad ass boat, and summer just started!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts