Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Steady Rollin
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what peoples experiences are with these. I have a 2 story house and think it might help out a bit with keeping things cool once the sun goes down. Can you wire these guys up with a programmable thermostat or something of that nature?

Any idea of final cost would be cool too. Any board members do installs?

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
my father in law just put one in his house. seems to work pretty good. we were over there on saturday. we walked into the house and it was blazing hot. he turned it on and not much later it felt pretty good. not sure about how much it cost, but i can find out if you want.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Just wondering what peoples experiences are with these. I have a 2 story house and think it might help out a bit with keeping things cool once the sun goes down. Can you wire these guys up with a programmable thermostat or something of that nature?

Any idea of final cost would be cool too. Any board members do installs?

LOVE the HHF's... Use it every night and every morning in the summer. Cools the attic , so the house doesn't bake all night long... Fresh cool air in the morning, before lock down and A/C..

You must have some windows open in order to operate, so not sure about wiring direct to thermostat...

·
Distinguished Member
297 Posts
I'm installing mine as we speak. 2 neighbors have them and after seeing how it works in their houses I had to pull the trigger. They spent about a grand each for the whole deal installed. I bought mine for $228.00 on Amazon and spent about $30 in hardware from Lowes. My neighbor's took 2 pro's about 4 hours to install. All in all it will take me about 6-7 by myself. From what I've read you don't want it hooked to a thermostat because windows must be opened before you start the fan. I am told it can suck a window right out of it's frame. Also, you want the switch mounted high enough that a kid can't hit it accidently. I have mine set up on a timer with a hi/low toggle next to it.

my .02

----Rob

·
The Man
1,731 Posts
My ex's parents had one in their house, and I can see one sucking a window out of the frame...those things move some air..theirs was probably 60" or bigger..mofo was huge and pulled some major airflow.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
From what I've read you don't want it hooked to a thermostat because windows must be opened before you start the fan. I am told it can suck a window right out of it's frame. Also, you want the switch mounted high enough that a kid can't hit it accidently. I have mine set up on a timer with a hi/low toggle next to it.

my .02

----Rob
To build on this thought.. You must have a window opened if you run a HHF.. They pull a ton of air... Not sure about the window being sucked in, but I do KNOW FOR A FACT, that they will pull air down the chimney and soot out a house something nasty, if the windows are closed... :)st

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
I built my house with one installed 4 year ago. It really cut's down on the need to run the A/C. Makes a great breeze through the house and displaces all that hot air in the attic.

I've been thinking about installing a two speed switch on mine when it's on not only does it suck like a champ, but where I had to install it it's closer to the living room then I would have liked so it's a bit noisy for the TV.

S CP :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
I've had one in my house for 8 years. Love it, it works great. It works great for cooling the house and getting smells out if you need to. Even in winter, broiled some fish and even after dininer I could not get rid of the smell. Shut the heater off, fired up the fan and poof! Gone. Turned the heater back on the house was normal again.

Andy

·
Registered
392 Posts
Just had one installed in my house this spring. Run it from sunset to sunrise. My house is two story. Downstairs always stayed pretty cool but upstairs got blazing hot as my house gets the direct afternoon sun with lots of windows. Turn it on high as soon as the sun goes down and by bed time it is nice and cool. The one I bought has two fans so I can run 1 for low or 2 for high. Got the timer with dual switches to go with it, as well so I can set it to run 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours. Here is the one I bought.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
Turn it on high as soon as the sun goes down and by bed time it is nice and cool. The one I bought has two fans so I can run 1 for low or 2 for high. Got the timer with dual switches to go with it, as well so I can set it to run 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours. Here is the one I bought.
After seeing the link I see why you wrote " and by bed time it is nice and cool. Mine cools the house (3,900 sq ft) in about 10 minutes or less.

I got the biggest one that would fit between the joist with the biggest motor.

·
Registered
652 Posts
We run ours if we think that it might get below 70...so not for the past 3 days...

We leave windows and doors open most of the year...the fan doesn't change the dust...the time of year and the dog chasing squirrels does...

We had a fires going in the fireplace once and someone hit the fan switch...surprise!

We put ours in the center of the house...near the bedrooms. Noise isn't bad in the livingroom against the TV.

·
625 Posts
I hear they will cause a lot of dust to build up in the house from drawing dirt in from outside. Anyone have this problem?
aahhhhh....that is what a wife is for? :D

I did notice more dust around the windows that we opened with the fan on.

But, that is really minor compared to how well these things work. But, don't think you can turn it on for 15 minutes, get the house cool, then shut everything back up. While you can get the air temp down very quickly, it takes a while to reduce the core temperature of the attic and other things. We would run the fan on high as soon as it cooled down outside, and when the house felt comfortable, we would turn in on low for the rest of the night. Most of the time I let it run all night.

·
625 Posts
We had a fires going in the fireplace once and someone hit the fan switch...surprise!
Oh yah...make sure you have windows open in your house when you turn it on....it will pull ashes right out of your fire place. It is also good to clean all the ashes out of the fireplace before using the fan. Even with the windows open, the ashes will still come out.

·
Registered
392 Posts
After seeing the link I see why you wrote " and by bed time it is nice and cool. Mine cools the house (3,900 sq ft) in about 10 minutes or less.

I got the biggest one that would fit between the joist with the biggest motor.

It may not be the biggest (CFM wise) but it does the job and probably much quieter than yours. It is no louder on high than my A/C and when it is on low you can hardly hear anything. Yours is probably quicker at pulling the air out but I also didn't want to have to listen to it all night. Do you know how many CFM yours moves?

·
Junior Camper
50 Posts
I put one in my garage last year because it was an oven in there. I found myself propping open the garage door for a few minutes when the house seemed a little warm. It would change the air in about 5 minutes (1 story, 2700 sq ft) and the a/c would cool it down almost immediately. In the evening I'd put the fan on low and open my bedroom window. I never again used the A/C at night after that.

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,033 Posts
It may not be the biggest (CFM wise) but it does the job and probably much quieter than yours. It is no louder on high than my A/C and when it is on low you can hardly hear anything. Yours is probably quicker at pulling the air out but I also didn't want to have to listen to it all night. Do you know how many CFM yours moves?
I don't remember if I can find it when I get home I'll post it.

I have a friend with an older house (poor insulation) and his house get very hot in the Summer. He put a whole house fan it and added two attic vents and he can drop the temp in his house 20 degrees in 12-15 minutes. He sold me on building my house with one installed.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.