Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Boatless Member :(
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious why jets always seemed to be crafted with rub strips?

It takes a lot away from them imo.

·
Registered
296 Posts
All part of the cost of manufacturing and final sales price. When the jet boat originally came out they were less expensive than a similar Vdrive, less rigging = less cost. Both Jets and Vdrive have similar build process the decission on capping the boat or leaving the rub rail is related to cost and personal preference. I agree with you that you see alot more jets with thr rub rail, but i have see a few vdrive with it as well.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Most jets have been carefully cared for and retain the factory rub rail.

Most vdrives are older than dirt and have been hashed and painted a hundred times at which time some hack smears the crack with bondo till it cracks and looks like shit.

Personnaly I run the other way when I look at a smoothed hull. Tells me it was a pos till its mystery resto.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Most vdrives are older than dirt and have been hashed and painted a hundred times at which time some hack smears the crack with bondo till it cracks and looks like shit.

Personnaly I run the other way when I look at a smoothed hull. Tells me it was a pos till its mystery resto.
That's a complete blanket statement of bullshit, considering most restos come out far better than the shit the factory sends out, especially in this demographic. Unless that's your preferred method of hiding things is to "smooth them over", I'd say you're pretty much way off the mark.

·
Premium Member
5,488 Posts
With a 'rub rail' the docks I can use are far a FEW between (can't really use fenders on a 21' Daytona) > without the rub rail the one dock/ramp I can use in my area would be useless. :))ThumbsDwn
I'll take, and NEED the rub rail :))THumbsUp

·
Registered
338 Posts
most jets have been carefully cared for and retain the factory rub rail.

Personnaly i run the other way when i look at a smoothed hull. Tells me it was a pos till its mystery resto.
whatever!!!!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

Maybe that explains the name "Chop Shop".

·
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just see that challenger (my first boat hull actually) in the for sale and the rub strip totally turns me off. I know challenger isn't the best hull, but it's not bad. I never tie my boats to a dock and beaching it has to be nice sand. I just remember hating the rub rail, it was always hot and just looked so ugly.

How is a boat "properly capped", does anyone have pictures?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Ever tried to dock a jet-bote? Your honor......I rest my case................

CC

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
The reality of it is no one wants to put that kind of money in a ol fooked up Jet Boat. If you will drive a Jet....oh well....you get what I meen.

·
Bass Lake Dream'n
3,082 Posts

Wow, just when I think I've heard it all...
The v-drive/jet boat rivalry will never be settled, but I'd have to believe most jet boaters would have to agree that this is absolutely idiotic.

·
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ever tried to dock a jet-bote? Your honor......I rest my case................

CC
Depending where you are you can do it. Like Lake Truman where most of the boats are Bass boats. Yes, I've docked it before for a few hours. I generally tie it where it doesn't touch any of the sides of the slip even though it has a rub rail and we had bumpers. I'm more of the person that would drop my party off, anchor the boat and swim to shore...

·
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just finished stripping paint off my "older than dirt" v-drive. It apparently had many many hours of labor put into hiding all the "cracks and shitty craftsmanship".
Looks glassed over with about a 6'' strip and not "bondo" to me? Is that correct?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Apparently those that have no idea wtf they're talking about or the reasons or methods involved, try to post up on such subjects, and come away looking as foolish as they did entering.
Evil and chop, the aforementioned is absolutely directed to you two.
To the OP,
Capping is a nice clean, seamless look and can be done. I recommend it to anyone who wants that look, is in between finishes, and knows how to take care of your ride. It's no more or less dockable than rub rail and require attention and proper protection as any challenging dock situation presents itself.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Looks glassed over with about a 6'' strip and not "bondo" to me? Is that correct?
Ya Icy, that's basically it. Sometimes the cap can over or under hang the hull, so basically you match the top to the bottom. Then you grind a groove at the parting line feathering the depth back a few inches. Then you glass the groove you just created back to smooth and even. If done properly it requires very little filler to make a very clean, seamless transition between the cap and the bottom hull. The rub rail definitely hides a lot of poor workmanship on production hulls.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Apparently those that have no idea wtf they're talking about or the reasons or methods involved, try to post up on such subjects, and come away looking as foolish as they did entering.
Evil and chop, the aforementioned is absolutely directed to you two.
To the OP,
Capping is a nice clean, seamless look and can be done. I recommend it to anyone who wants that look, is in between finishes, and knows how to take care of your ride. It's no more or less dockable than rub rail and require attention and proper protection as any challenging dock situation presents itself.

I know what it is. I know how it is done. Anyone who ask a jet boat question will be played with. But will be treated fairly. Now go to your room.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts