Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is as simple an explination as it gets. Copy and pasted from TCI's site 'cause I just don't feel like typing it out tonight.
Hope this helps in some understanding.

Why do you need a vibration dampener or "harmonic balancer"?

Engine speed slightly increases during power strokes and decreases during compression strokes. This is what causes twisting vibration of the crankshaft. In some instances, since the crankshaft drives the cam, crank vibrations can also cause instability in the valve train. The dampers and absorbers are designed to reduce these vibrations.

What is crankshaft torsional vibration?

Answer: Due to their mechanical design, all internal combustion engines will display crankshaft torsional vibration. This is due to the fact that torque cannot be applied to crankshafts from firing cylinders with steady pressure. It varies with the position of the crankshaft in relationship to each cylinder. As the piston rises and falls, so does cylinder pressure. The changing pressure, acting on the piston, results in forces transmitted along the connecting rod and applied to the crankshaft journal. In the operation of the crankshaft assembly, the forces reverse back and forth. The crankshaft reacts and transmits these forces that are indicative of crankshaft torsional vibration.

This has nothing to do with internal or external balancing.

·
Registered
636 Posts
You dont if you like to change bearings often. Used to build around the rules stuff with 283 or 289 balancers. Some big ,bad balanced strokers with the weights cut down, shakers untill reved up. HAHAHAHA. Worked fine for a maintanence motor. Some blower motors just a hub, but I always thought the belt helped some. Still not good on the bearings.
I think you allready know the answer though.:)hand

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Blower belts definitely help absorb some of those vibrations, but on street blower deals, I use a balancer anyway.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
This is as simple an explination as it gets. Copy and pasted from TCI's site 'cause I just don't feel like typing it out tonight.

Engine speed slightly increases during power strokes and decreases during compression strokes. This is what causes twisting vibration of the crankshaft. In some instances, since the crankshaft drives the cam, crank vibrations can also cause instability in the valve train. The dampers and absorbers are designed to reduce these vibrations.

Answer: Due to their mechanical design, all internal combustion engines will display crankshaft torsional vibration. This is due to the fact that torque cannot be applied to crankshafts from firing cylinders with steady pressure. It varies with the position of the crankshaft in relationship to each cylinder. As the piston rises and falls, so does cylinder pressure. The changing pressure, acting on the piston, results in forces transmitted along the connecting rod and applied to the crankshaft journal. In the operation of the crankshaft assembly, the forces reverse back and forth. The crankshaft reacts and transmits these forces that are indicative of crankshaft torsional vibration.

A very well absorbed explaination. M

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
you have to look at your balancer to set your timing?

this is the 21st century for Gods sake........:D
Well I stole the mag of Fred Flintstones car and........:D

Of course some of you guys prob just like the fancy ones for doin your leak down tests. HAHAHA

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

this is the exact reason I only run 32 cyl radial aircraft engines in all my boats:)sphss

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cantard
5,017 Posts
ok, so lets make this a little controversial. On a circle boat with the drive off the snout, N/A, does it belong on the front or flywheel, and why
Sooooooooo.... lmao
Is your firing order 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 ooooooooorrrrrr 2-7-5-6-3-4-8-1:D

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, so lets make this a little controversial. On a circle boat with the drive off the snout, N/A, does it belong on the front or flywheel, and why
My guess is it depends on if you;re running a heavy flywheel or a flex plate. Heavy flywheel, no need for one there. Don't some guys run a balancer and still drive off the front?
You tail chasers are a little wieeeerd.:)devil

1 - 20 of 34 Posts