Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...For the past eight years,...since I switched from the from the factory generator to a Delco alternator set up on my '63 Hallett,... the alternator will not begin to charge until I crack the throttle and give it some RPM???... ...If I do this once it will generally charge for the rest of the day even at idle... ...This was never an issue until last Saturday when I forgot to do this... ...I stopped to make a call on my cell phone and shut the boat off... ...When I went to start it,...no juice... ...Fortunately I was just outside Limesaddle Marina on Lake Oroville...

...Here are the technical details... ...The alternator is driven by the same pulley on the driveshaft that drove the generator... ...That pulley is a 4 inch as measured from the bottom of the v groove... ...the alternator pulley is a 2 inch... ...The crankshaft pulley that would have driven the original generator on an automotive 406 Ford is 6 inch... ...A good friend, although not a boat guy, has told me it may very well be a pulley size issue???... ...He says I may very well need to go to a larger size drive pulley???... ...Has any one ever had the same problem...

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...For some reason the thread posted twice... ...One with pics,...the other without???... ...If you look at the other thread there is a picture that shows more than one wire... ...The other may be ground... ...Since I wired it 8 years ago I can't really remember???...

·
Registered
297 Posts

GN is right. All 'one wire' Delco S-11 or S-11 model alternators that have the regulator changed to a one wire setup require a little jolt to get them charging, not a problem if you're aware of it.
STEVE

·
Hard Core Member
406 Posts
Your alternator will not charge until it self generates enough voltage to kick in the field circuit. Your #1 terminal must not be seeing voltage. All you need to do is run a switched wire to the #1 terminal from the ignition key and it will kick in immediately. The #2 terminal is for sensing charging voltage, this can be jumpered to the main power stud, or connected to a constant 12 volt source in the main harness to compensate for voltage drop.​

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Is the new alternator a 1 wire?
...Would this be called a one wire???... ...The white wire is not used???... ...I can't remember who told me how to wire it... ...I think I'll give Jim Brock credit since he never goes in the V-Drve section

1 - 9 of 9 Posts