Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lookin at 427 bbc(not tall/truck block) brodix bb2plus heads.(cc'd at 116), srp piston #141637 prox 9.5 to 1, comp solid roller # 11-703-9 .680 lift. vic jr. intake, 800 dp holly. bassett tt headers. There aren't many .070 pistons out there , but if this combo is going to suck I'll pop for a new block. I'm considering/ have been talking a little to cstraub, wondering if a custom grind would be worth the extra $$?? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. OH BTW it's going in a jet boat.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is 9.5 to 1,, too tame for any solid roller cam?? I dunno I have a set of 11.6 to one pistons, I'm just sick of needing to mix 110 with pump gas.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Is 9.5 to 1,, too tame for any solid roller cam?? I dunno I have a set of 11.6 to one pistons, I'm just sick of needing to mix 110 with pump gas.
put the 11.6 to 1's in and have chris grinf you a superunleaded capable cam for it, its not outta the question:)bulb

·
Registered
785 Posts
get a different cam.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
The cam for his compression, cid, and operating range.

That cam has some mama lama durations.

As always, take my info with a grain of salt and treat it that way.

Is 9.5 to 1,, too tame for any solid roller cam??
Not at all. There's solids out there for most everyone. A 9.5:1 motor can run pretty hard.

Give a few calls to Comp, Lunati, HArold Brookshire, whomever that is on top of their game and you are comfortable with. Then sit down and decide what you'll go with.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I've rattled Chris's chain so many times I'll put my cam fate in his hands.lol It would be nice $ wise to be able to reuse those 11.6 pistons.

·
Lurker
1,417 Posts
Thanks guys, I've rattled Chris's chain so many times I'll put my cam fate in his hands.lol It would be nice $ wise to be able to reuse those 11.6 pistons.
Not a bad choice on cam guy's! :D

I'd whack a little off of those domes, blend them and cam it accordingly! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
Lookin at 427 bbc(not tall/truck block) brodix bb2plus heads.(cc'd at 116), srp piston #141637 prox 9.5 to 1, comp solid roller # 11-703-9 .680 lift. vic jr. intake, 800 dp holly. bassett tt headers. There aren't many .070 pistons out there , but if this combo is going to suck I'll pop for a new block. I'm considering/ have been talking a little to cstraub, wondering if a custom grind would be worth the extra $$?? Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. OH BTW it's going in a jet boat.
Brodix heads like duration split so I would recommend going with something with some more split. The heads respond to this and customers engines have made very good power.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
compresion wise??

I know I can't go wrong with cstraub. I've bugged him so much I feel like an ass. FWIW what would make the best pump gas build , solid roller , 427 bbc. alum head,,build?? Short block wise 11.5,10.5, or????????

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
Dude...quit bouncing around, pick a combination, and go with it. Whatever your combination is, go with Chris or call me and I'll help you out. 805 350 1159. With the right cam your combination will work just fine. Don't waste your time going through off the shelf cams that might come close to what you need, just get the right cam and be done with it.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ya I'm just trying to put together a short block at the moment. When I get to that point Chris will get my cam bucks. I guess I'll stick with the 11.6 to 1's and buy a new block,that's the cheaper route anyways.:)grn

·
Banned
697 Posts
Brodix heads like duration split so I would recommend going with something with some more split. The heads respond to this and customers engines have made very good power.
These are some of the best flowing heads out of the box out there. Why would you "crutch them with split"?

·
steelcomp was here
26,512 Posts
These are some of the best flowing heads out of the box out there. Why would you "crutch them with split"?
Actually they're not, in fact some of the worst, depending on what you get. For example, a set of BB2X's are terrible flowing heads out of the box compared to other similar heads, but they're more targeted for guys doing their own porting, having lots of material to work with. Not really designed to be great as-cast heads. The chambers are terrible, but again, have plenty of material in the right places for a guy to go in and do just what he wants. Between them and the Canfields they're probably the best head for a CNC porting program.

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
So, someone tell me what "some more split" means .
And then, More split than what ?

If based off of 0 - intake and exhaust using I dentical lobes - All BBC heads will take more split than 0.

Vague, very vague. As certainly cam lobes are not one dimensional.

BTW: My wife can do splits, but I can't. Just some humour. :D

·
Banned
1,263 Posts
Actually they're not, in fact some of the worst, depending on what you get. For example, a set of BB2X's are terrible flowing heads out of the box compared to other similar heads,

He's using the -2Plus, not the 2X's.

Here's the flow info on the BB-2Plus

BB-2 PLUS
2.250 Intake 150 215 265 311 334 344
1.880 Exhaust 122 148 187 216 229 238

===================================

It doesn't appear to be that bad of a head out of the box. It should totally work on a 427 running some compression and rpm.

·
Banned
697 Posts
I know I can't go wrong with cstraub. I've bugged him so much I feel like an ass. FWIW what would make the best pump gas build , solid roller , 427 bbc. alum head,,build?? Short block wise 11.5,10.5, or????????
do yourself a big favor,find rmbuilder,marine kinetics,he actually knows cams and combos.your combo will make the power you talk to him about,not fairey tales.
btw,what hp/tq are you looking for?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts