Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other thread about performance boating got me thinking.

How many of you plan to actually upgrade to a bigger or better boat in the next 2-3 years?

If you asked me this time last year what my plans were I'd have told you I'm holding out to capitalize on the used market. When the fire sales start happening I'll get myself something bigger and better.

Today... The fire sales are happening. I could afford the payment on a nice boat. But.... W/ the rising cost of fuel, and the rising cost of everything I just don't see it being a smart decision these days. At this point my job seems pretty secure but with the uncertainty of everything else it just seems like it's only a matter of time before my circumstances could change drastically.

In the past couple of months I've contemplated getting out of boating altogether. My boat is paid for and selling it could give some extra capital to put towards real estate. I'm tired of the Arabs getting rich at my expense and boating is the last big gas consuming activity in my life so I'm really thinking about pulling out.

So.. I'm curious. Do many of you plan to upgrade in 2-3 years or get out of boating altogether?

·
Registered
388 Posts
My boat is almost paid off, after that I'm stepping up to something with twins and 30+ foot. Does the economy suck? Yes! But its not going to keep me from something that brings my family together as long as I still have a job.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My boat is paid for and gas for it is cheap. If you spend a few hundred for the weekend to have some fun whats the big deal? Why work if you can't play. As for a new boat I am happy with mine.:D

·
lol, right.....
1,168 Posts
My boat is paid for and gas for it is cheap. If you spend a few hundred for the weekend to have some fun whats the big deal? Why work if you can't play. As for a new boat I am happy with mine.:D
Couldn't have said it any better..... :cool:

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
How many of you plan to actually upgrade to a bigger or better boat in the next 2-3 years?
I plan on gettng a new one for sure. Not sure if most would consider it an upgrade as I'm actually looking for a smaller wakeboard boat for the kids.

·
Hub Cap Annie & Wheel
1,926 Posts
I usually try and get a different boat every few years. My current Eliminator I have had for almost 5 years, unfortuunately the first two were f'd due to an engine issue so in reality I have only got 2 seasons on this boat, entering the third now, so I assume maybe 2 more and than I'll make a change, probably back to a Hallet, 240(2005 or 2006). As far as expenses go, I work too long and hard not to have an out and since I love the river/lake and my river home I'll try to do everything I can to enable myself to continue enjoying one of my few vices.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I can see my self in a new boat in the next couple years. What will that be, not sure, as my ideas change daily.
I cant see myself getting out of boating anytime soon at all. My weekends on the water and in the sand dunes with family and friends are what I look forward to. Now, I have contemplated quitting going to the sand,and selling my sand toys. IF I did that, most likely, I'll end up with two boats!

·
Registered
884 Posts
I will not be getting a new boat in the next 2 or 3 years. However, I try to do small upgrades on the current boat every year.

Last year I added trim tabs (better for towing kids on toys) and upgraded some of the gaugues (GPS, etc). This year I am thinking about adding new headers (Dana's or the new CMI's). Next year is TBD.

Plan on keeping this boat until the oldest is out of high School (4 year), so adding a few new things each year keeps it fresh.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
My boat is paid for and selling it could give some extra capital to put towards real estate. I'm tired of the Arabs getting rich at my expense and boating is the last big gas consuming activity in my life so I'm really thinking about pulling out.
QUOTE]

Can't have fun with real estate.Keep the boat

·
Registered
620 Posts
if work pics up i will be buying another one not really a up grade but something for thoughs 6 in the evening runs, 19' cheyen,blown injected,or 19' place craft tunnel blown injected,got to love speed;; somthing were you can get to the light at the end of the tunnel very quik

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I'm trying to upgrade, but I can't sell mine. :)sphss Not even a call on it. I figure I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future.

I know I need to lower the price, which I did a little already, but since I'm not a baller I would rather keep mine then give it away. I guess if I REALLY wanted to get a new one I would fire sale this one but I really don't want a new boat THAT bad. Just not that motivated.

Our current boat suits us just fine so fire selling it in this economy makes no sense. Would rather use it.

Business is good. But as I look around at what is going down I am taking the "cautious route" with my $$. (i.e. kicked up my savings rate) Who knows WTF could happen. Worse case scenario I got a big cushion if shiat really hits the fan. Best case scenario I got a good down payment after a few years.

·
Rubbing is Racing!!
2,837 Posts
I plan on gettng a new one for sure. Not sure if most would consider it an upgrade as I'm actually looking for a smaller wakeboard boat for the kids.
I bought a brand new boat just last year, and I am going to keep it for awhile. It might be smaller but I don't feel I downgraded in any way. I actually enjoy it much more than my last boat.

And it is much cheaper to insure, maintain and put fuel in.
I don't think I will ever be boatless....

With that said I would be pretty happy with a hassel free smaller yamaha or tige vs. my 28' Sleek;):D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts