Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my HDD failed in my HP Laptop and I install a new larger drive as a replacement. The orignal was an 80gb or 120gb and I installed a new 250gb. I tried to use the system restore disk, but it will not pass the system check, error reads; Intallation stopped due to unsupported system detected or insufficient HDD space.

I had a friend offer to fix it but he installed some sh*tty counterfeit copy of XP that doesn't work correctly.

Any idea's?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My restore disk is the orignal.. I bought the computer new with a licensed version of XP on it. But now need to restore it.

So, you think i should go buy another license as my HDD failed? I didn't realize that is the norm. Computer crashes, buy another copy of windows, why not just buy another new computer a..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It sounds like your restore is based on an "image" of your old hard drive, and unknown to you, that image was corrupt. I went thru the same thing with my Dell.

You should also have a separate Windows CD?

If not, can you boot from the CD you have? Hit F2 when the computer is firing up, or a similar key, to get into BIOS; choose boot from CD; save and then restart, see what it does?

Also, google HP restore problem.

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
Thats wahy you can't take an OS and toss it on any PC. Evry stinking part of you computer has a number and if they don't ALL match the OS will not load. Change one thing and no more worky. I have 5 hp's and what a PIA to keep the drivers matched up, thats 15 disc's. If I could only find a boot legged copy of 2000 pro.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
I do not know the answer to this but I have had instances where older boxes would not accept hard drives larger than I believe 133gb due to motherboard limitations. Have no idea if this applies here just thought I'd throw it out as a mention.

·
Administrator
11,649 Posts
Thats wahy you can't take an OS and toss it on any PC. Evry stinking part of you computer has a number and if they don't ALL match the OS will not load. Change one thing and no more worky. I have 5 hp's and what a PIA to keep the drivers matched up, thats 15 disc's. If I could only find a boot legged copy of 2000 pro.
My guess would be that there are legit copies of 2000 for sale on ebay. I bought some XP Pro copies there (that were legit) and never had any problems with them (reputable seller being the key here). Problem is now becoming that late software won't run on 2000 so that becomes an issue the more time passes.

An original XP disc (not a branded restore disc like hp) should install on any machine I believe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My restore disk is the orignal.. I bought the computer new with a licensed version of XP on it. But now need to restore it.

So, you think i should go buy another license as my HDD failed? I didn't realize that is the norm. Computer crashes, buy another copy of windows, why not just buy another new computer a..
I work at a laptop repair center. You should not have to buy another copy of Windows. Is the old HDD toast or is it just starting to go? You can try to force a copy using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to copy your old drive into your new drive. They are other freeware programs that do this too. Also has the motherboard ever been changed? Not sure about HPs, but with Toshiba the DMI settings need to be set when installing a new motherboard or else it will not take the recovery CDs. It doesn't happen too often, but sometimes the technicians forget to set the DMI. I will ask some of the techs when I get to work in the morning.

·
Registered
373 Posts
So my HDD failed in my HP Laptop and I install a new larger drive as a replacement. The orignal was an 80gb or 120gb and I installed a new 250gb. I tried to use the system restore disk, but it will not pass the system check, error reads; Intallation stopped due to unsupported system detected or insufficient HDD space.

I had a friend offer to fix it but he installed some sh*tty counterfeit copy of XP that doesn't work correctly.

Any idea's?
The system restore disk is for booting and then restoring an Image that is stored on the original HD As someone else said you will need to get a copy of a Ghost type utility to get your files from the old HD or at least the original install image. If the drive is completely toasted then you should start looking for a full install version XP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I work at a laptop repair center. You should not have to buy another copy of Windows. Is the old HDD toast or is it just starting to go? You can try to force a copy using Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image to copy your old drive into your new drive. They are other freeware programs that do this too. Also has the motherboard ever been changed? Not sure about HPs, but with Toshiba the DMI settings need to be set when installing a new motherboard or else it will not take the recovery CDs. It doesn't happen too often, but sometimes the technicians forget to set the DMI. I will ask some of the techs when I get to work in the morning.

Koi Pond fish on!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! Problems solved.. Installed a good version of XP and I am installing the drivers now. Now I need to learn how to make a bootable DVD as a back up, any people have advise on that? :)devil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts