Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well its friday morning here in oz and i am just about to hook up shes the culprit to head to windsor 20minuts away.the blown boat entries as of this morning show 18 thats right 18 B.A.D.boats anyway to all my freinds in the u.s.a. have a great day. ps i am shitting myself. dean.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Dean & my brother Bryan called me from Windsor last night or Friday afternoon in Australia, they were setting up pit & getting ready to test, amazing turn out of boats, 18 BAD boats & no less than 10 - 12 boats in every other class + 3 true flatbottom K boats coming out & going to do some demo races, gonna be an awesome weekend!!! Wish I was there :D Good luck Dingle Mate, have a fun & safe weekend & keep us updated on whats happening there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dean & my brother Bryan called me from Windsor last night or Friday afternoon in Australia, they were setting up pit & getting ready to test, amazing turn out of boats, 18 BAD boats & no less than 10 - 12 boats in every other class + 3 true flatbottom K boats coming out & going to do some demo races, gonna be an awesome weekend!!! Wish I was there :D Good luck Dingle Mate, have a fun & safe weekend & keep us updated on whats happening there.
Chris ... 'Hats off' to the Aussies mate, they really seem to have their shit together at the moment, 18 BAD Boats, 10-12 in other classes & Flatties at one meeting, what a luxury!! And now introducing the new Blown Lites class, which seems to be taking off big time, great to see :cool:

Good luck to all racing this weekend at Windsor & be safe!

Mike

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
Kiwi Revenge... What is this Blown Lite's Class that you speak of ??? Flat Bottoms, Hydro's or ???? Inquiring minds need to know :D:D

Steve

·
Registered
195 Posts
Blown lites

Kiwi Revenge... What is this Blown Lite's Class that you speak of ??? Flat Bottoms, Hydro's or ???? Inquiring minds need to know :D:D

Steve
Hi guys. Blown Lites has been introduced (in Australia) in an attempt to 1) provide some reliable and consistant blown boat racing for the paying public. 2) Provide a stepping stone into racing a boat fitted with a supercharger. 3) Provide a class that races powerful supercharged (small blocks) without the need to step straight into the unlmited & unrestricted (big dollar expense) world of BAD boat racing.

As a very basic outline;
*any make of engine, limited to cast iron block & 380ci
*671 rootes style blower with 1:1 ratio, no teflon or nylatron or double lobe rotors
*bugcatcher (enderle style) hat
*single plug heads & single mag
*minimum boat length 17' 6"
*No wings or zoomies
*methanol fuel (no additives)(I think!)

The rest is pretty well open to expliotation... um... should I say interpretation. Such as open ignition system, no restiction on manifolds, nor fuel pumps, alloy heads (no exotic materials) open v-drive gearing & props. etc etc.

This is not mean't to be a cost effective form of racing (as many people seem to think).
I think the people behind this class want to see blown boats still running Sunday a'noon without the need to have two or three motors (actually I think there is a penalty if you change engines.
This is a series to be run up and down the East coast at 5 different venues. With points allocation going towards prize money and a new capsule boat.

That's it in a nutshell.:) Oh it's only open to displacement hulls!

·
northern member
602 Posts
ya baby :|err:)devil

·
Registered
195 Posts
On behalf of Dean & Anita and the team of 'She's the Culprit - 294' here's a wrap up of our Windsor weekend, the good, the bad, the badder and the indifferent...
But first a quick low down on our past performances over the past few months. (some of the details might not be quite in order...) We broke a lifter, a roller rocker and inturn broke valves. This necessitated the bowl in the head to be welded and remolded and machined flat. After that we started to blow out copper gaskets, big time. Particularly at #2 cyl.
We also chewed up bearings after the oil got extremely hot and badly damaged a crank. We also chew up some billit rods and managed to trash a new crank...ouch!
Mildura on the NSW - Victoria border about 14hours drive. Spat gasket #2 cyl Fri. practice. Worked till 10pm rebuilt motor. Test run late Sat morning spat gasket at #2 cyl again. Heads tested to be straight & true.
Back home another complete engine build. Club day and blow gasket out again WTF. Test block, all ok except it was found that #2 cyl was sleeved and leaked once engine got hot and cyl went under pressure and hydrauliced.
So a new block and crank was purchased, plus some other bits picked up while we were in the US and yet another complete rebuild.

AND so to Windsor!

Friday was test & tune after scruitineering.
Warm the boat up then off to run some practice laps. Now this is a brand new set up. 1 lap warm up, jump on the gas then Dean comes in. And guess what? Blown head gaskets [email protected]#kin again, but this time it was #2 & #7 cyls???? Ok no big deal (yet). So off we go back home to put the spare motor in. This basically means swapping over blower & hat and exhaust pipes. Do tappets and fire it up. Oil pressure was fiune but no oil getting up to the top. Dean is a little concerned but finally a little spit comes out of a pushrod but it took a long time to come up...

Ok ready to go for Saturday.
Sat morn, warm boat up Dean does about 1lap then the bloody Prolite come on and he shuts it down immediately. No gaskets blown BUT I check the oil and find far too much metal in what was another fresh motor! Dean just wants to crawl into a hole and hide. He's upset, dissapointed and down right dejected. He has the added pressure of having one of his sponsors out for the weekend too. So he decides that since these heads didn't blow and the first motor (Bottom half) was ok he would throw the last roll of the dice and build another engine out of the two. So back home again to begin a major rebuilding. This took us around five hours. Wing off, blower and manifold, heads & jessel rocker gear, magneto & offset drive and Basset twistiesoff and out. Plus similar items removed from the first motor. Items swapped over, block craned out & 'new combination' craned in. Tappets done all bolts & lines fitted and done up.
We even changed the top pulley on the blower by one tooth, thereby removing some boost and as a final touch fitted the new Bergeron Marine prop that Phil & Brian had made for him.
We get back to the river about 5.30 - 5.45pm it's now dark.

Sunday is another day!
So warm up motor, do tappets and hit the water (At this point I don't think any of us had had much sleep and so the feeling was a little tense, as we all knew this was our last attempt - there was nothing left to use...) Humidity low (no air) lower boost and a new prop. Here we go...
Three test / practice laps two at full noise, sounded good, looked good. Check the motor all good check, oil, OK but oil and dry sump tank very ,very hot. So we wrap the tank with towels filled with ice to bring temp down.
First race, Pole 1 and the Culprit is off like it's been fired out of a gun, & leads by several boat lengths,but he half spins in the first bouy allowing another boat (Agent Orange) past. He chases & catches it but AO gets very untidy and starts to spin, all we can see is Dean disappear into a wall of water as he washes off a huge amount of speed. AO comes out of the turn first and wins the race with Dean a hot second. We're not happy with the driving effort of AO. Boat takes in a lot of water which was no real problem. This was our first race finish for a long while. Motor & oil ok, but again oil is very, very hot so on go the towels again.
Next race was a qualifier for the main race (the Kevin 'Puff' Chesser trophy) The third heat and only 2 of the 3 boats make the starter. The Culprit takes an easy win (against the big red 'Fury')but I think Dean feels a little bad as Fury is owned & raced by the Chesser family and he had just put them out of the main race.
And so to the main race. Culprit pole #2 with 129mph and just a bee's whisker of taking pole1 which was held by Johnny Cross in RIVAL.
A little air had come back and with no other changes and the Bergeron prop working, it was basically a two boat race between She's the Culprit & Rival with them neck and neck for the first lap and a half. But as Rival had p1 he had the better water as was fast, he got the gap on Dean which he couldn't close. And so finished a very creditable second to the very fast Rival. Our GPS showed 134mph.
The good part about it all was that the oil and motor looks OK. This was the first time in a long, long while that we finished not only races but the event with the motor in tact.
Hopefully we're on our way back, with some consistency.
The heads that kept blowing are being sent to a third party to be checked on a cnc mill. These are still a mystery but we have concluded that the milling was very ordinary or possibly the heads are going soft and moving when under load??? We''ll wait and see what the results are.

We would like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all the people who sent well wishes and support.
We would like to also thank our sponsors without whom we wouldn't be doing what we do (& have stood by us in our lean spell and bad economic times in the US)
To our friends in the US, thank you all for your assistance and advice we look forward to seeing you all next year for Taree (Aust)
And to the crew who put in a HUGE effort over the weekend.

Thank you!
Garry Fitzgerald (raysoninoz)
on behalf of Dean & Anita Barry:)Rant:)sphss
'She's the Culprit - 294'

1 - 20 of 21 Posts