Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Just signed up here. My new to me boat is a 1977 Glaston/Carlson CVX 20 with a 460 Ford and berkley pump. I am new to jet boats but not to boating. The engine compartment is really cramped and I am wondering where the water drains on the block are? the next question is when the boat is in the water it has a leak around the transom. what is the best way to fix this? Of course the is plenty of silicone already laid on the outside of the transom. Thank you for any help. Karl

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Hi guys, Just signed up here. My new to me boat is a 1977 Glaston/Carlson CVX 20 with a 460 Ford and berkley pump. I am new to jet boats but not to boating. The engine compartment is really cramped and I am wondering where the water drains on the block are? the next question is when the boat is in the water it has a leak around the transom. what is the best way to fix this? Of course the is plenty of silicone already laid on the outside of the transom. Thank you for any help. Karl
You need to figure out where your leak is....if your intake is leaking that could be very dangerous, and may need to be reset.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
your going to need to send some more info on the leak, and for the blue oval block drains depending on the set up guys with cramped engine compartments use hosing to get drain to a accesable location, so your going to need to get a mirror and look. you should post some picks of your new boat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. My leak seems to be coming around the bowl to transom seal. Is there a rubber seal or just silicone on the transom? I will try to post up some pics. Karl

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
i re built my latly and it had a rubber seal i added silicon to keep water off seal

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Gonna need more pics of the problem area. Pic of the pump out of the water and inside the engine compartment. Does it have a transom adapter around the bowl and through bolted to the transom? If so I have seen it done both ways with just silicone and then with the gasket. I just use silicone and it has never been an issue. If you have a ton of it built up there then you are probably gonna wnat to take it all off and start from scratch. That will also give you a better idea of where the leak is coming from. Post a pic of the engine compartment and where you think the water is coming in from (or if you can take a pic of it actually leaking) and someone can tell you what to do. If it is coming in from the two bolts on either side if the shaft then that is normal. The rope seal is supposed to leak, about one drop every few seconds. Hope that helps some.

·
tintingsandiego
1,063 Posts
I believe you have an E pump berk. Best way to find a leak around it would be to raise the bow on the trailer, keep the drain plug in and fill the back of the hull with water then look. Your drain plugs on the block should be below your heads towards the rear of the block. You might have brass plugs or release twist style. I lengthened mine so I could reach em without removing my through transom exhaust.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I located the drain plugs but they won't budge. Tried an allen wrench and even an allen wrench on a ratchet with no luck. My leak is exactly like you guys explained, it leak a drop about every 5 seconds. Maybe I don't have a problem here after all. Karl

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well I located the drain plugs but they won't budge. Tried an allen wrench and even an allen wrench on a ratchet with no luck. My leak is exactly like you guys explained, it leak a drop about every 5 seconds. Maybe I don't have a problem here after all. Karl
If that drip is coming from the packings then you are good but if it is dripping from a cable (like it is running in from somewhere) then I would be concerned. Post up a pic of where it is leaking. Point to it with your finger in the pic.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Like said your CVX 20 (unless modified) has the bowl to suction out side the hull The original "installation" of the "E" suction piece was a method of "bedding/attaching" to the hull insert with epoxy putty (note the white putty between the hull and jet). Assuming this has never been disturbed the likelyhood of a leak there is very low . The most likely place for these jets/hulls to leak is Shaft packings , or the steering and fwd reverse O'rings and Bellows Pics would be of help here ! A tip re the "cramped" compartment . its actually fairly easy to simply pull the back seat out (BTW we own two of these boats) Call or post up if we can help Also welcome to the boards and the ensueing crazyness Tom

son Joshes CVX

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I have the same boat and mine has drain petcocks not allen screws. If your boat has been driven in sand a lot they will be clogged though. Pull the thermostat out and dump a jug of antifreeze in the block and youll be fine. Been doing it to my boat for years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Farmo, If I can't get them out I will dump the antifreeze down the t-stat housing. I see you replied on the CGOA board too. Thanks for all the help. Karl

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Pull the thermostat out and dump a jug of antifreeze in the block and youll be fine. Been doing it to my boat for years.
Use a little caution here with this advise. I've seen them freeze the lower part of the block open along the pan rail because the antifreeze did not get to the wet sand in the bottom of the block. It should at least be circulated with some kind of pump.
Duane HTP

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
always a good idea to pull the petcocks out any way. Flush ther block, and prodd around the drain hole, getting as much as you can out of the block. Like Duane said, getting antifreeze into the sand/sedimnet is difficult.

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
You want petcocks in the drains; remember they rotate clockwise to open. Also, these G/Cs have little rubber plugs at the front of the engine compartment/bilge; pull them and make sure any water is drained from under the floor. I found that water was running from the ski rope in the compartments beside the engine towards the bilge, but into the cut out for the thru bolts and there were holes that allowed it to drain under the floor...found out when the the floor colapsed. Beautiful boat, by the way.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts