Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Here is a color code.
http://www.ftkltd.com/Boat Wiring and Color Codes.htm

Wiring gauge depends on what you are using. Most of the time 14 to 16 gauge is more than plenty for stuff. 10 gauge for power feeds. 2 or 4 gauge for main battery cables. 6 gauge for alternator cable. If you relay most things like fuel pump, bilge pump, blower. It will be different compared to running everything through the switch.

·
Horsepower sells Engines
402 Posts
wow good info on that site. your really going to have to know how much amprage each item uses if your looking to staying with smaller guage wire to keep boat lighter. if you dont care about wieght over kill is the best policy
***** remember with no frame grounding you need to put in ground wire length into consideration******** if your running amps for stereo like me im running large guage power and ground so all my dash power is pulled from there. using realys is great way to down size wiring, you can get relay packs from colhersy keeps every thing neat and tidy. just rember draw it out. plan your roughting and put in jump point incase you get stuck out in the water. ie. at you wire lug point on the motor put power , ing, and start side by side will help you in a bind.

wiring is all smoke and mirrors when you let the smoke out the mirrors dont work.

·
LIQUID QUARTER MILE
562 Posts
14 g on sig wires 10 gauge on feed wire

·
Boat Nut
5,131 Posts
I kept all my signal wire 20 ga. to igntion switch is 10 ga. with a 12 to my kill switch, 12 ga. to my starter solenoid. My kill switch feeds the fuel pump relay sense, and my MSD box. Other items on an additional 12 ga. wire off the ign sw is my Banderlog water control box, and Diveter power relay. The Trim pump relay, MSD are ran thru a 50A breaker off the battery. I tried to keep the wiring weight to a minimum, as there is a bunch of it. Routing down the gunnel was thru flexible plastic conduit. The rest was ran thru black oil/gas resistance wire sleeve 1/4 thur 3/4 sizes to where ever they need to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts