Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What method's do You Guy's use to anchor or support You'r wire harness ,up under the gunnels?
I am looking for a nice ,clean ,method to mechanically fasten My harness tight up under the gunnel. Something that is strong and wont fall down.
Pic's,ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Hal

·
Nuclear Powered
1,281 Posts
Mine are behind the kick panel. This picture shows how Eliminator used a wood side stringer glassed in behind the kick panel. They left about a 3 inch space under the edge to drape the wiring/throtle/steering assembly through the holes. Looks great since i don't have to look at it (hidden behind the kick panels.

I really liked the PVC ideas, if i didn't have the kick panels to hide the side stringers:D

Attachments

·
Boss of the McIntyre Mob
1,981 Posts
L&L Marine has a nice set up for runnin wires and hoses. I cannot find it on their web site.:mad: They have a dispay on the counter.

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
I epoxied some wood blocks to the sides and used one hole clamps/
hangers. Not the cleanest thing in the world, but functional and they
haven't fallen off. Last night was a true test on the white capped Lake
Pleasant. Man was it rough out there. I considered doing the PVC thing,
but even with that you need some means of anchoring/attaching it.

I've seen some guys glass the PVC to the side and that seemed to work
o.k. too.

The epoxy works, but I tried a couple different adhesives that didn't work so
well before using water proof epoxy.

This winter I plan to do some touchup on my gelcoat in the bilge and will
pull the wire loom down and shoot gel over the blocks so it at least matches
the colors better (and will cover over the goobered epoxy). Nobody can see it,
but I know it's there and it bugs me.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
I epoxied some wood blocks to the sides and used one hole clamps/
hangers. Not the cleanest thing in the world, but functional and they
haven't fallen off. Last night was a true test on the white capped Lake
Pleasant. Man was it rough out there. I considered doing the PVC thing,
but even with that you need some means of anchoring/attaching it.

I've seen some guys glass the PVC to the side and that seemed to work
o.k. too.

The epoxy works, but I tried a couple different adhesives that didn't work so
well before using water proof epoxy.

This winter I plan to do some touchup on my gelcoat in the bilge and will
pull the wire loom down and shoot gel over the blocks so it at least matches
the colors better (and will cover over the goobered epoxy). Nobody can see it,
but I know it's there and it bugs me.

oh to bad it was so rough, the river was great last night:),sorry for the jack back to your schedule thread..

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts
That's a pretty great idea. Where were you when I was rigging my boat a few months back?

Actually looking at my picture again............I don't think I'd be able to use the rub rail idea. No clearance due to the countours of my particular hull design.

oh to bad it was so rough, the river was great last night:),sorry for the jack back to your schedule thread..
Ass!

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
That's a pretty great idea. Where were you when I was rigging my boat a few months back?

Actually looking at my picture again............I don't think I'd be able to use the rub rail idea. No clearance due to the countours of my particular hull design.

Ass!
thats mr.vacation for 9 days ass to you..:)devil

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yup. Here you go.

7429K47

T.J.
Thanks T.J. Found them right off the bat. Damn the price is right too! Thanks that's way to go when I strip for paint and re-rigging. Summit has all the convoluted tubbing I need and I may have enough already.

Greg

·
Half a bubble off
2,467 Posts
Okay, I'm gonna be lit up here but the work you guys are doing is beautiful. With that said, the last time I wired up the boat I did something similar and then found as I wanted to modify and add things, the nice clean job I did screwed me over cuz this wires were too tight and I didnt have any give.

For this round, I used all new Painless wiring stuff and heatshrink connectors and just used zip ties every few inches to the steering cable. Iff"n I wanna add sumthin it's gonna be a whole lot easier.....for what it's worth.

Regardless, good luck

·
Re-member
3,729 Posts
Okay, I'm gonna be lit up here but the work you guys are doing is beautiful. With that said, the last time I wired up the boat I did something similar and then found as I wanted to modify and add things, the nice clean job I did screwed me over cuz this wires were too tight and I didnt have any give.

For this round, I used all new Painless wiring stuff and heatshrink connectors and just used zip ties every few inches to the steering cable. Iff"n I wanna add sumthin it's gonna be a whole lot easier.....for what it's worth.

Regardless, good luck
............Went the zip/tie route...with a couple of Adel clamps............out of sight,....easy to access,......for adding .....and tracing ....wires;).......

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

Regardless, good luck
OK, are you lit yet? I know it takes a lot of that Colorado Kool-Aid to get you there but I thought you might have had time by now. :D Videos, Audios, Photos, etc!!!! :)devil

·
Glendale Arizona
2,368 Posts

Regardless, good luck
I hear ya on wanting to add things at a later time. I pulled in a couple extra wires even though I'm pretty sure I have everything I'll ever need. I've got the MSD box, nautical lights, nitrous solenoids, a nitrous bottle heater, bilge pump, and all that stuff is already tied in. Can't think of anything else I'd need, but if I ever do, I have two extras.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts