Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
user3322_pic1096_1210050171.jpg

I am try to understand the this wireing schematic but I dont see where the distrubreter (sp) is tied in to the system I have a HEI can someone show me where it ties in Thanks

·
LOST
180 Posts
that looks like a wiring diagram for a point type ignition... the HEI requires just a 12 volt feed when the key is in the run and start position.. looks like you could possibly use the violet wire that runs to the coil for your 12 volts...
and could hook the grey wire to where it says TACH on the HEI

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Actually that schematic is one I drew up for a points system.

For an HEI distributor, if you have a 7 pin terminal block with ground on the leftmost terminal as you're looking at the motor from the back, the BAT+ terminal will go to the 4th terminal from the left and the TACH terminal will go to terminal 7 on the far right. On an 8 position terminal block, the BAT+ will go on terminal 5 and the TACH terminal will go to terminal 8.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I ran my wiring in reverse of what you said there Jon. Just seemed normal since my battery is on the right said of the boat, as is the starer and alt.

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
On a GM made engine, the Aux Solenoid is not needed and complicates simple things. As they were built when they were new there was also a circuit breaker for the constant key switch power on the 3rd terminal from the left.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Yea I'm not a Ford guy but I think I've seen Ford starters with and without the solenoid mounted on the starter... but I could be wrong... :D
I've got the starter solenoid on the starter but not the aux. one. I ran heavy wire for the starting circuit #10 and the + and - also #10 to the dash. I figured if you can run 220 VAC and 40 amps on #10 it would be good enough for the boat. All the other wiring was #14 and I'm thinking that was overkill.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The aux solenoid is for extra power for the starter solenoid on a GM starter! The power wire goes from the bat. to the dash switch all the way back to the starter where you can lose voltage in the distance of the wire run! So the solenoid is powared by a hot wire from the bat.in a shorter distance = less voltage drop and better starting power at the starter solenoid! WT:)devil

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually that schematic is one I drew up for a points system.

For an HEI distributor, if you have a 7 pin terminal block with ground on the leftmost terminal as you're looking at the motor from the back, the BAT+ terminal will go to the 4th terminal from the left and the TACH terminal will go to terminal 7 on the far right. On an 8 position terminal block, the BAT+ will go on terminal 5 and the TACH terminal will go to terminal 8.
Hay jet I dont really understand the 4th is the ign curcit on this drawing the 5th termnal is a oil press and where dose the 8th position go after it connects to the block thanks Eric

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
Hay jet I dont really understand the 4th is the ign curcit on this drawing the 5th termnal is a oil press and where dose the 8th position go after it connects to the block thanks Eric
OK...some boats have a 7 position terminal block while others have an 8 position terminal block.

On a 7 position, position 4 is the "ignition" circuit.

On an 8 position, position 5 is the ignition circuit.

On a 7 position, position 7 is the tach signal.

On an 8 position, position 8 is the tach signal.

From left to right, a 7 position terminal block reads as follows:

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
3 - Hot In Start
4 - Hot In Run (i.e. ignition, gauges, anything controlled by the ignition key switch)
5 - Oil Pressure Sender
6 - Water Temperature Sender
7 - Tach Signal

From left to right, an 8 position terminal block reads as follows:

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
3 - Alternator Charge Wire
4 - Hot In Start
5 - Hot In Run (i.e. ignition, gauges, anything controlled by the ignition key switch)
6 - Oil Pressure Sender
7 - Water Temperature Sender
8 - Tach Signal

Make sense?

·
Sit N' Spin
1,423 Posts
The aux solenoid is for extra power for the starter solenoid on a GM starter! The power wire goes from the bat. to the dash switch all the way back to the starter where you can lose voltage in the distance of the wire run! So the solenoid is powared by a hot wire from the bat.in a shorter distance = less voltage drop and better starting power at the starter solenoid! WT:)devil
Exactly!!! It's not needed in a car cause wire runs to the starter aren't near as long in a car as they are in a boat.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK...some boats have a 7 position terminal block while others have an 8 position terminal block.

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
3 - Hot In Start
4 - Hot In Run (i.e. ignition, gauges, anything controlled by the ignition key switch)
5 - Oil Pressure Sender
7 - Tach Signal

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
4 - Hot In Start
5 - Hot In Run (i.e. ignition, gauges, anything controlled by the ignition key switch)
6 - Oil Pressure Sender
8 - Tach Signal

Make sense?
Thanks for the help May be I can figure it out Eric

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
3 - Hot In Start
5 - Oil Pressure Sender
7 - Tach Signal

1 - Ground
2 - Constant Hot
4 - Hot In Start
6 - Oil Pressure Sender
8 - Tach Signal

Make sense?
This must be for a CHEBBY set up. :D

·
Banned
3,605 Posts
Exactly!!! It's not needed in a car cause wire runs to the starter aren't near as long in a car as they are in a boat.
I haven't needed an aux solenoid yet, in any GM powered boat or in any GM powered hot rod (w/or w/o a rear mounted battery). If everything else is right in the boat/car then I'm calling B.S. about needing an aux solenoid in ANY GM powered vehicle. :(:(

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I haven't needed an aux solenoid yet, in any GM powered boat or in any GM powered hot rod (w/or w/o a rear mounted battery). If everything else is right in the boat/car then I'm calling B.S. about needing an aux solenoid in ANY GM powered vehicle. :(:(
I also think that as long as you use heavier wire you don't or shouldn't need one. It's just another point of failure waiting to happen.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts