Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would try again. I just connected a Linksys wireless router to my modem, and it worked on the computer right off the bat. When I fire up the laptop I see the network listed in the options to connect to but when I try to connect it says I cannot..I have no CD, I was given the router only. Any suggestions..?? Both computer and laptop are Vista..

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
If your router is connected to your PC via an ethernet cable, then you still need to set up your wirless network since your PC is running on a LAN (and not grabbing the wireelss signal your router is putting out) .

Use the wireelss network setup wizard in Control Panel.
It will prompt you to insert a USB jump drive into your PC during setup; you take the jump drive to the laptop; install (click) on it; then remove th USB jump drive and return it to your PC and it will complete the install.

You still have to set the WEP key (password) too.

Follow the instructions in the wireless setup wizard OR youtube it out :)

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
You can download a Setup Wizard from the Linksys website...specific to your model number...:cool: Works great...

·
You who rock I salute you
3,339 Posts
We gave up wireless and went with the plug-in the wall-use-the-house-electrical system dealio and have never looked back..

Much,,, much better.

·
GO CELTICS
2,083 Posts
I thought I would try again. I just connected a Linksys wireless router to my modem, and it worked on the computer right off the bat. When I fire up the laptop I see the network listed in the options to connect to but when I try to connect it says I cannot..I have no CD, I was given the router only. Any suggestions..?? Both computer and laptop are Vista..
Quit being so cheap:D

·
deckboat owner
480 Posts
It took me a while to get mine done, I ended up gettin' LOTS of help from Comcast's customer's forums. NOT Comcast, not the router manufacturer, but help forums had some real helpful peopel!!

·
I got nothing
2,037 Posts
Try logging into your router and setting it up.

http://192.168.1.1

Login: (leave it blank)
Password: admin

or

Login: admin
Password: admin
And after you do this CHANGE the password! If you don't any decent hacker driving around can hack into your router as they know what the factory password is and that most people do not change it.

While you're at it, change your wireless network to not broadcast. This will prevent it from appearing on other peoples computers as a wireless network in range. Additionally, secure your wireless signal by filtering by MAC address. This will further secure your wireless network by allowing only a wireless card with an approved MAC address to your network.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts