Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The local shop that i normally get WIX filters from just started carrying the WIX racing filter. Same PN Number just with a R at the end. The shop says it's a better/full flowing filter, i'm curious what the difference is. Price is almost double over the normal WIX i get. Anybody know what is really different about these filters?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The micron rating on the race version is higher, meaning they give up filtering for flow. They do not catch the very fine particles. Most race filters carry a warning about not for street use. Just cause it says " race " doesn't mean it is allways better.

WIX GOLD # 1794 is a two quart version of a Chev V-8 spin on JFYI.

·
Premium Member
3,276 Posts

·
I'm No Expert
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts

·
ATTA BOY
2,348 Posts
No bypass in the filter, no bypass in the block.
51060r has the anti drain back valve. 51061r doesnt. 51069r is the short chevy filter.
A normal filter flows any where from 9-11 gpm where a racing filter flows 28gpm

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
No bypass in the filter, no bypass in the block.
Shaun - This has some serious downside to oil delivery. No bypass is rarely used because you need to ensure the engine is getting a full supply, and you would need a very high flowing filter system to accomplish that. Also, if the filter fails (not common, but it happens...) bye bye engine.

If you do not have a bypass in the block, I reccomend a filter that has one. There are many good ones; Baldwin, K&N, and the oft maligned but very popular Fram HP.

·
Distinguished Member
5,788 Posts
TRY THIS LINK http://fleetfilter.com/
HAVE REALY GOOD LUCK AND VERY GOOD PRICING ABOUT HALF PRICE
TIM
I've used these guys and like Tim says, good prices on the filters. However, they make a bunch of it back in their shipping and handling charges. Charged me $22 to ship 12 filters from TX to CA (about 3 times what I would have paid using my UPS account). Works out to be about $2 cheaper than local sale prices and you don't gotta go to the store. Still and OK deal.

·
Registered
435 Posts
i use the kn brand filters bbc no bypass in the motor or filter hp6002 2 quart had to have one shipped in also the other day cost 19.00 with shipping
also bought a 1 quart off the shelf 14.00
how much are the wix like a 51794r ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts