Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you buy a Howard, Hallett, DCB, Eliminator, Cigarette, Skater, Schiada, Conquest, Magic, Sunsation, etc..those that are presently made in the U.S.A. if they decided to have it made in China, India, Mexico, etc...????, even if it could now be sold for say 50% less ???

My answer would still be Hell Friggin NO !!!!!!!!!!

·
6,873 Posts
They would probably run and not break down. So yes I would, if it is what I like and want

·
Dazed and Transfused
2,308 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Does anyone know where Merc outdrives are made? Are they manufactured and assembled in the US or Canada... How about the motors? A bunch of GM stuff comes out of Mexico and Canada... All the stereo stuff is overseas... etc etc... Just wondering on the break down?

I guess if all we are talking about is the Hull, then I guess the economics of laying them up and rigging them must still keep it homegrown in the US.

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait, it gets better, imagine the instruction manual, in at least 5 different languages !!!, and none of them being english !!!!!!!!!!!!!, press one to speak english, press two to lodge a complaint........

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is kind of a "Pro protectionism" thread so I guess I am a bit confused about how to interject the political spin on it... Last time I check I was anti-protectionism but since boating is so personal I am having all this inner conflict???

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
This is kind of a "Pro protectionism" thread so I guess I am a bit confused about how to interject the political spin on it... Last time I check I was anti-protectionism but since boating is so personal I am having all this inner conflict???
I'm against protectionism too...except that every country in the world is protecting their industries from foreign intrusion; Hell, most countries do anything they can to help their companies penetrate the US market...so we are rapidly approaching a total collapse of the US economy. I really don't think we can survive by serving each other coffee while sueing ourselves; The dollar can only be stretched so far before it becomes conffetti...:)coffee

·
No Longer Recovering
916 Posts
I'm surprised hulls and interiors arn't already made in Mexico... seems like a perfect place with the lack of envro. laws etc...

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:)bulb yeah you could pick up the hull / interior at the Rio Grande, Juarez / El Paso, float it across the river:)bulb

1 - 20 of 36 Posts