Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
have been 75 miles out of Point Loma in a 21 ft C/C.... fueled, full of bait headed at 180 degree's at 3am in the morning heading into pure darkness....... one of the scarest fishing trips ever! Awesome bite though :p lucky we had smoooooth water!

·
Don't Taze Me, Bro!
1,885 Posts
The boat was a Boston Whaler. No problem that far out. I've done it, also.

BUT! If it was pushed beyond it's limits in rough seas, what will happen is what did happen.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The sad part is ANYONE can buy or rent an EBIRB (Boat US). if you go over deal with it, but suviving is another issue in cold climate. Boat Cop and jump in on that.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Depends on the boat, 21 ft boston whaler, no prob. I would make sure I had plenty of fuel and a good radio and a gps. I have been caught in the Great Lakes when a sudden storm blew up, 12 footers 20-25 miles out in a 26 footer and have had to throw a sea anchor out and drag it under power to keep the boat from blowing into an island of rocks, scared to death, common sense usually prevails. However none of us were there so we will never know for sure. I can't wait for the suvivor to REALLY spill his guts if he ever will ...............I also have a friend who 'endoed' a 50 ft all aluminum sailboat in the great lakes.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Yep done it many times. even a 15' zodiac. Gone way past line of site(land). $5 miles out once to grab a thing(navy stuff) and drove back in. sucked. It was a tiller handle 55 Johnson on a 15' zodiac. had like 4 18 gallon bladders. Was sore for a few weeks after. Wish I would have grabbed the 38 scarab........

·
Banne'd
2,568 Posts
I've seen a 13' boston whaler sport out in 7' white caps on lake Onterio. We we in a 20' whaler. Who's the dude that went across the ocean in a 12' sail boat, 10-15 years ago??

Hell look at what the Cubans come across on.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
Owned the Boat

The sad part is ANYONE can buy or rent an EBIRB (Boat US). if you go over deal with it, but suviving is another issue in cold climate. Boat Cop and jump in on that.

One of the two NFL players owned this boat and have been on that area many times before(AND BEFORE THE NEGATIVE ONE) jumps in this was according to his Cousin who has been with him often and assured the interviewer he knew what he was doing and always checked weather etc. Please this is only from a first hand interview with a witness who has experienced all this first hand.

·
Registered
953 Posts
21' Boston can easily handle 30 miles out...conditions and how rapid they change can have an impact on even the most skilled impact...I feel for those guys and their families...stranded in seas is no way I would like to remember my last breaths, nor have my family feel I had to struggle in my last hours..

·
Punk in Drublic
2,165 Posts
No :)sphss

·
Registered
20,026 Posts
18ft center cansole wooden skif whaler style from long beach to the backside of catalina shark fishing several times...got lost in the fog once 1/2 way now thats scary....:)sphss

·
Resident Ford Nut
10,102 Posts
The boat was a Boston Whaler. No problem that far out. I've done it, also.
BUT! If it was pushed beyond it's limits in rough seas, what will happen is what did happen.

No problem you say...... I guess they exceeded the margin of error :p

I know a few people who do that, I'm way to much of a chicken no "F"ing way I'm that far from land in that small of a boat.

Sleeper CP :D

·
The Pool Bitch
4,236 Posts
I'd go in a heartbeat. I've been to Catalina several times on a 16' Hobie cat, and I've gone over on a Seadoo so the extra room of a 21' boat would be nice. I'd go in the summer, and throw a jig on every kelp paddie I could find.

·
Registered
707 Posts
14ft boston whaler , 10 miles out in Hawaiian waters, fishing for skip jacks and mahi !!!!!!! valleys so deep you go down in giant football field size holes!!!:)sphss:)grn:)grn the deepest blue you've ever seen!!! fished around a mile marker with tiger shark siluoettes bigger than our boat!!!!

·
Junior Mumbler
521 Posts
30 miles? How far out is too far? I think any more than a couple of miles and it really doesn't matter. Friend of mine used to take the Zode to Anacapa alone and go diving:)sphss. I had a bunch of divers leave the boat once and head up current in almost calm. By the time the last diver was gone the boat went 180 degrees off anchor in 25 mph winds. Things happen a hurry out there.

·
professional slacker
884 Posts
only if I had a Coast Guard Cutter trailering me a half mile back. :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts