Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts
Idiots. Company should fire them and then hire from the large unemployment pool.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Considering how hard the tel com industry has been hit in the last few years, I'm sure they could fill those positions rather quickly. Very bad move considering the economic environment.

·
Registered
785 Posts
didn't Chrysler do the same thing in the 80's ?

and break the union ?
why i still don't drive dodges...

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
What is going through these people's heads when they think of striking!!!! Luckily my work group just signed a 4yr contract extension with a 3% a yr raise. I would have taken it with or with out the 3% just feel lucky to be working. AT&T should cut them loose and start over with people who want to work

·
Az Desert Dweller
2,436 Posts
just think of all those "illegals" in this country, who have bogus s.s. cards that'll be swooping up those jobs, at whatever they (AT&T)want to pay !!!:)bulb and you wanna stike?????????????

·
Registered
507 Posts
Glad I'm not in the union! 85% Voted yes for the strike! In times like these I can not believe anyone would vote in favor of a strike. I'm just happy to still be employeed and not a part of the 12,000 AT&T recently cut loose.

http://www.cwa-union.org/news/cwa-members-vote-strike-authorization-at-at-t-mobility.html
This is for the wireless side of AT&T I do believe their contract expires Feb 7th tonight.The contract does not expire till April 4th 2009 for the rest of the employees (except I believe it's Bell Atlantic which expires in Aug.)which the union has just started Negotiations(60 days prior to contract expiring).

·
Colts fan & Stoker owner
8,170 Posts

·
snipe hunter
120 Posts
the strike directly effects me and my family.my wifes contract expires in april. one reason for the strike is to protect at&t jobs in california and the united states in general. its not really about the pay, my wife maintains 911 records as an at&t employee. would you want someone in another country responsible for the integrity of your records in another country? healthcare is also an issue as well as protecting retiree benefits and pensions. these issues are just the tip of the iceberg. some of these jobs require highly trained personnel that cant easily be replaced by people off the street. the majority of the people in her office have been loyal to the company for over thirty years.

·
Old Skool Member
6,519 Posts
Just talked with my sister. They DID NOT vote to strike. They voted to allow the union to do what needs to be done and if that does come to a strike then they have the OK to do it. She said nobody in their right mind would vote to strike as nobody wants that.

The 12K or so people that were let go/bought out or whatever were all management and not CWA members....

One big issue is that the company is only allowing management to share in the profit sharing and CWA members or non-management get none.

Other issues of course.....

A lot of the other locals thruout the US have settled already.

The CA CWA members and their local includes CA and parts on N NV and that is it.

I told her it would be a major mistake for them to strike and she didn't argue with me at all.

The company continues to cut staff and add workload to craft employees without additional compensation. I know this is very true just talking to employees I have known for many years.

Bottom line is that AT&T used to be a service company and now (like any other business) is profit driven. Hard to change the mentality but it is changing.

I know managers that are so frustrated that want to go but can't financially right now.

I am glad I left in 1987 and got to do things my way.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
My neighbor works for att and he mentioned that they might strike in august.Hes hoping they dont but he wont have that say if its a majority vote.

·
8anned
4,154 Posts
It's difficult times right now. I know a major bank that announced company wide yesterday that EVERYBODY'S pay is to be cut by 5%. I'm talking some 56,000 employess from the Teller to the SVPs, everybody. You'll see it in the news Monday most likely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts