Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Throwing this out there for some of you old school guys that might be into FE motors...looking for a blower intake. Not a welded up fab job, but a real cast blower intake. Blue Thunder, Cragar, H&M... if you have one and are willing to sell, let me know. I have a med. riser 2x4 intake I might be willing to trade.
TIA

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Vehicle Engine Auto part Car Electronic instrument Motor vehicle Vehicle Auto part Engine Car Not that I can personally help with the manifold, I can tell you that they are out there , I've seen a few at the Hot Rod Reunion swap meet in Bakersfield, albeit they're not inexpensive, as manifolds go. What is equally important to acquire, is a Mickey Thompson timing cover to relocate the distributor/magneto to the camshaft drive off the front cover, complete with the stub-shaft replacing the now-missing lower part of the distributor, to engage the oil pump shaft. Although I understand that you're talking about an FE Wedge manifold, I believe the part that replaces the lower section of the distributor is available from some of the people who sell SOHC ( cammer ) parts, as many racing 'cammers drive their mags from the left front cylinder head idler gear. Just a thought.

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not that I can personally help with the manifold, I can tell you that they are out there , I've seen a few at the Hot Rod Reunion swap meet in Bakersfield, albeit they're not inexpensive, as manifolds go. What is equally important to acquire, is a Mickey Thompson timing cover to relocate the distributor/magneto to the camshaft drive off the front cover, complete with the stub-shaft replacing the now-missing lower part of the distributor, to engage the oil pump shaft. Although I understand that you're talking about an FE Wedge manifold, I believe the part that replaces the lower section of the distributor is available from some of the people who sell SOHC ( cammer ) parts, as many racing 'cammers drive their mags from the left front cylinder head idler gear. Just a thought.
Thanks Spike. Yes, they are expensive. Most guys want 1500-1800 for a good one and you're right...it would be really cool to find a front cover with a mag drive. Those are a lot more rare. This is for my 67 Fairlane so not sure how much front drive stuff I can get away with. I'm in TN and we have some pretty big hot rod swap meets out here. That's where I'll probably end up finding one in the spring. Thanks for the response and cool old Cammer pics. Kalitta, McEwen and Ed Pink... :thumb:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
V-Drive, Seeings you have Don doing your engines, please tell him hello from John Lane, he was also good friends of Joe Bakso just down the street......... Don's got some stories!!

Cheers, Spudz

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Throwing this out there for some of you old school guys that might be into FE motors...looking for a blower intake. Not a welded up fab job, but a real cast blower intake. Blue Thunder, Cragar, H&M... if you have one and are willing to sell, let me know. I have a med. riser 2x4 intake I might be willing to trade.
TIA
BDS has them

·
Registered
52 Posts

Attachments

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's different, setup for an 8V-71? I have a buddy with a couple 6V-71s he wants to run on a 460 Ford motor...

But Don Hampton is a good place to go for a BT intake. You'll also want a spacer to clear the distributor....
I'll check with Hampton. I know most guys sold out of the BT a while ago and no telling when there will be more. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just thought I'd put a few more pictures up for you. Included are a Blue Thunder blower manifold, a Cragar, and a Ford Power Parts dedicated blower manifold. I'm with you.....welded up 2x4 intakes, no thanks. Also, here's a pic of the Thompson timing cover for the front mag drive. Auto part Auto part Automotive air manifold Auto part Automotive air manifold Engine Automotive engine part Auto part Product Automotive engine part Carburetor Engine

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Almost forgot......since this is a boat site, Mickey Thompson didn't forget to cast up a marine front cover/mount for the ignition drive deal. Like so many of ****'s timing covers, it takes a bearing pressed into the crank hole to act as a crank snout support. I love this kind of engineering. This was available for other makes as well...as a matter of fact, the forward engine in the Mortician dragboat used one of ****'s supported timing covers for the 327 Chevy, where it's cranksnout was connected to the flywheel end of the 327 behind it. Here is an FE marine piece with the aforementioned ( big word, huh? ) features. Revolver

·
steelcomp was here
26,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bumping this back up...just in case.
Thanks for all the input Spike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts