Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heads: Stock 454 flat top. Need to replace peanut port heads with something better. I need closed chamber, oval port heads like 215 cast. (just edited) At this point, maybe I need to sell this truck engine and get a long block off of someone. Watcha got?

Rail kit: Replacing the angle iron mount and washer-shims on the H joint. :) 24" stringers. I am using rear mount off a stock-looking bell housing. I don't like that at all either.

I'm new to this, so recommendations appreciated.

Thanks, David.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I don't know what cc's the peanut ports are but you may end up with to low of a compresion ratio with some open chambered ones. If you want to stay with iron heads I'd look for some gm castings that end in 049 or 781. Elelbrock have some decent priced heads also. Tom @ Jbp can hook ya up with a rail kit whether you want it in a "kit" form or ready to slap on. If you're feeling ambitious I have templates somewhere for the plates on my boat.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
parts

Hi David welcome to the site. A lot of great people and help here on the boards. I sent you a pm regarding your inquiry. I have a couple of very good options for you.

Thanks,
Warren

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what cc's the peanut ports are but you may end up with to low of a compresion ratio with some open chambered ones. If you want to stay with iron heads I'd look for some gm castings that end in 049 or 781. Elelbrock have some decent priced heads also. Tom @ Jbp can hook ya up with a rail kit whether you want it in a "kit" form or ready to slap on. If you're feeling ambitious I have templates somewhere for the plates on my boat.
Thanks H20. I found some 049's locally that'll end up running me 1100 or more without the springs. Edelbrocks are a bit more with the weight savings.

I'd like to make 5600 RPM-18 foot Starbuck, Berkely, droop. I get 4K [email protected] 50 MPH. (est) Am I too agressive with a stock bottom end?

Thanks for the info. I'm new at this stuff.

·
Registered
41 Posts
$1100 is a lot for 049 heads

I have a 2 sets of early large oval casting bbc heads, they need to be freshened but they are good usable castings,
looking to get like $125 each set plus shipping
pm me if your interested
also I could have my builder freshen them or build them to whatever you want
let me know you can pm me on here

·
Registered
981 Posts
X2!!! $1100 for 049's is Waaaayyyyy overpriced. You can get a BRAND NEW set of ASSEMBLED COMPLETE with Springs Aluminum TOp Prolines for that! I see complete 049's with springs frequently in the $300-$500 range

·
Some guy
3,669 Posts
You can get a BRAND NEW set of ASSEMBLED COMPLETE with Springs Aluminum TOp Prolines for that!
If you are talking about Pro Comps (Pro Topline is long gone, except the ones RHS sell), you get what you pay for. I don't know that I would trust one of my engines with valves made in India, and springs from who knows where. I have put Pro Comps on a couple of NA engines, but I assembled them myself with better parts.

You could put $1100 into a NICE set of 049's with some port work and stuff, but probably not necessary for his mild engine.

280 cam isn't bad, but you can probably go a little bigger,, PM if you want to talk about some ideas.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the PM's and posts here. It looks like I am on my way towards some rail and mount ideas- (thanks)

A few have PM'd me about inadequate compression with flat top pistons and the heads I really want.

Since I just now pulled the motor, (and found all sorts of bad things in the mounts) I might as well get a long block and do this boat up right.

I hope I didn't abuse the "Parts Spam" section. I do appreciate the advice from you all. I will post a new thread about needing a long block.

·
MLC - Mid Life Crisis
1,132 Posts

I have a 2 sets of early large oval casting bbc heads, they need to be freshened but they are good usable castings,
looking to get like $125 each set plus shipping
pm me if your interested
also I could have my builder freshen them or build them to whatever you want
let me know you can pm me on here
Where are you located?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts