Performance Boats Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so if there is one thing anyone can unanimously agree on it's that all stern drive gears are manufactured by the same company and that the gears are the weak link in the outdrive.

Even Government Motors had figured out how to make gears!!!!! Why is this still an issue?

·
Registered
480 Posts
"A" aluminum impellers are only good for 500hp. Bronz or stainless impys are recommended above that! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe because if a good gear is put in it then the case goes.........
Rob
I thought about that but it just led me to the question of why don't they cast a better case. Aftermarket guys make them tougher. All be it at a more expensive price which is what kinda bothers me. Why would you spend extra $ on a tougher case and still put junk gears in it. Sorry, I know I can be dense but it just seems like throwing good money after bad....

·
Registered
351 Posts
This same issues exists in the sand car world as well.. Almost all the transaxles are based off VW... Buy a big name transaxle and your butt will pucker.... 15K for a mendeola S4..... 20K plus for something that will handle 800 plus HP.. Albins.. Fortin.. ect...

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
They do, China makes some.:thumb:
Step up to the SCX and now you have a net forged gear made by someone else besides mercury.
Also a nice looking piece of hardware hanging off the back of you boat.

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Step up to the SCX and now you have a net forged gear made by someone else besides mercury.
How much power will they handle?

·
It's what we do
723 Posts
Ok, so if there is one thing anyone can unanimously agree on it's that all stern drive gears are manufactured by the same company and that the gears are the weak link in the outdrive.

Even Government Motors had figured out how to make gears!!!!! Why is this still an issue?
I'm assuming you're referring to the XR gears. The XR is rated for a maximum HP. If the boat has more HP than the maximum recommended, and the gears fail, how is it an improperly manufactured gear? If the drive is assemble correctly, by a shop very knowledgeable shop, the gears will last a very long time. When we build an XR we do a lot of hand massaging on the gears to increase the life and allow higher HP levels.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Its allot of comfort knowing its there as well.. So far it has been worth the cost.. just need to get the darn trim gauge worked out.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Sounds like a job for a 9" Ford

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a pretty good lesson over the phone the other day that pretty well explained the entire issue and many others too. Still not entirely sure why mercury/mercruiser/whoever hasn't tried to fix the problem but I guess they kinda did by offering the #6 drive, etc. Sure would be nice to have a tough drive without having to have a trans though.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
I got a pretty good lesson over the phone the other day that pretty well explained the entire issue and many others too. Still not entirely sure why mercury/mercruiser/whoever hasn't tried to fix the problem but I guess they kinda did by offering the #6 drive, etc. Sure would be nice to have a tough drive without having to have a trans though.
The #6 is actually rated at 1000hp?
Go figure??
Anything with merc, bigger than the XR needs a trans
The SCX does not and bolts up to a bravo transom.
The SSM 3,4,5,6,8, and NXT, = trans.

·
280 Profile Cat W/575sci
204 Posts
Trigger:3312066 said:
Not that tough to figure out... $....merc makes $ selling gears

·
Registered
118 Posts
What broke the upper or the lower?
Too much POWA!!! LOL

Probably a combo of the really heavy 27' straight bottom Vee and a Maximus w low slip.

I didn't get pictures of the gears, but they were pitted, and the vertical shaft was twisted too. Basically, I caught it just before things got really expensive.

On the plus side, this combo lasted over 100hrs, so it was time for a rebuild anyway, and no way a stock XR would have lasted that long.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
To have the prop shaft and verticle shaft twist is torque being applied to prop and prop biting hard , and or bottom gears breaking, and causing all up stream parts to twist. To twist a propshaft at the gear spines takes a good shock load to do that, ie airing it out and keeping the hammer down.
They will all break but if abused will do so sooner. Was this a SCX/ SC combo? Was ther a broken lower gear set or just some putting on the gears?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts