Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
E-7 Sheepdog (ret)
6,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you Christians out there, don't get caught meeting up with friends for Bible Study time in your home, especially not in San Diego County.

You may get away with it once, but, if you do it regularly like a pastor in SD has done for over a decade, apparently he needs a "Major Use Permit" (a permit that often involves traffic and environmental studies, compliance with parking and sidewalk regulations and costs that top tens of thousands of dollars).

A county government employee knocked on their door on Good Friday, asking a litany of questions about their Tuesday night Bible studies, which are attended by approximately 15 people.

"Do you have a regular weekly meeting in your home? Do you sing? Do you say 'amen'?" the official reportedly asked. "Do you say, 'Praise the Lord'?"

The pastor's wife answered yes.

She was then told, however, that she must stop holding "religious assemblies" until she and her husband obtain a Major Use Permit from the county.

Now, should I note the 1st amendment to the US constitution, or does it not apply in California?????

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,'"

Sure smells like "prohibiting" to me.

And if they fail to pay for the MUP, the county official reportedly warned, the couple will be charged escalating fines beginning at $100, then $200, $500, $1000, "and then it will get ugly."

Dean Broyles of the Western Center for Law & Policy, confirmed the county official followed through on his threat. The pastor and his wife received a written warning ordering the couple to "cease/stop religious assembly on parcel or obtain a major use permit."

A spokeswoman for San Diego County, who acknowledged the description of the incident seemed "bizarre," but who was unable to locate the details of the account. She simply could not provide comment yet, she said, until she could become familiar with the case.

Full Article Here

Which other religious denomimnations are they forbidding to have private get-togethers? ANY, or is it just the Christians?

The nice weather out there ain't THAT nice. :mad:

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Going to hell in a handbasket, I tell ya. Hadn't heard of this, thanks for posting it. I'm guessing it started with some busybody neighbor that called the cops or city council because there were too many people parked in front of her neighbors house and down the street. Rather than going over to TALK to the neighbor (no one talks to their neighbors in CA, they avoid them like the plague), they call the authorities and then it evolved into this. Could be wrong, but that's usually the way it works out here.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Not to mention the right to peaceful assembly, guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.
Sorry that is federal law...and we all know county law overrides federal law. ;)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Going to hell in a handbasket, I tell ya. Hadn't heard of this, thanks for posting it. I'm guessing it started with some busybody neighbor that called the cops or city council because there were too many people parked in front of her neighbors house and down the street. Rather than going over to TALK to the neighbor (no one talks to their neighbors in CA, they avoid them like the plague), they call the authorities and then it evolved into this. Could be wrong, but that's usually the way it works out here.
Ain't that the truth. At a previous residence I would park my truck a few houses down sometimes depending on what was going at the time. Once, I left it just over the 72 hr. limit (It was a holiday weekend) the next day it got ticketed and towed. All the neghbor had to do was ask me to move it. I would have obliged no question. Some people are just a-holes with nothing better to do than call the cops for every little thing like some HOA.

I know of a pastor that holds bible class twice a week just the same. In fact, the house was remodeled with a rec. room type setup specifically for the class. I'm really surprised nobody has complained considering you can sit directly across the street at the public park and hear every word spoken.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Smokin, we do things a little different here in CA:((((((. You know that. This should be no surprise.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Not to mention the right to peaceful assembly, guaranteed by the 1st Amendment.

+1. There are a bunch of idiots that work for the county here. It sounds like SD county is going to get their ass sued off for infringing on Constitutional rights if they keep this shit up. Unfortunately, it's me and all the other tax payers, that suffer when some moron oversteps their authority.

Darrell.

·
Screamin SeaMonkees
1,663 Posts
I've got a mobile service business. Four mechanics, three trucks and a home use permit. My mechanics would show up at my house in their trucks, get their marching orders for the day and leave. They would do their jobs and drive my trucks to their homes. No problem. But the old bastard in the cul de sac would call city planning at complain. They'd write me a letter telling me they could not park on the street because I had a home use business license. One more warning and I'd get a fine.

I said "fine", I'll surrender my business license and we can park here all day long! She said, "Mr. H, don't be like that, just pay the fine and they can park anywhere they want". I said, Nope, I'm done doin' business in this town". Now we can park anywhere.

·
I'm baaaaack...
4,365 Posts
That wouldn't fly in Bakersfield..... the town has churches on every corner, and prominent city employees who are pastors.....

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I've got a mobile service business. Four mechanics, three trucks and a home use permit. My mechanics would show up at my house in their trucks, get their marching orders for the day and leave. They would do their jobs and drive my trucks to their homes. No problem. But the old bastard in the cul de sac would call city planning at complain. They'd write me a letter telling me they could not park on the street because I had a home use business license. One more warning and I'd get a fine.

I said "fine", I'll surrender my business license and we can park here all day long! She said, "Mr. H, don't be like that, just pay the fine and they can park anywhere they want". I said, Nope, I'm done doin' business in this town". Now we can park anywhere.
Now thats funny. Cut there nose off to spite there face, so to speak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts