"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"X" demension,
On my force the "X" is low, drive bullet 3'' below the bottom
I was told that was too low. so I am changing the drives to 2'' shorty imco's

I just bought a boss cat Conquest, The "X" is the same as the force 3'' below
but it has a stand off box,
whats the purpose of the box? does it do the same as shorty drives?

the conquest was the 05 boat show special, and power boat did a test
with it, 85.9 mph with a 525 merc. I ran it at just under 85, but hit the rev limit

Attachments

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
Hi Steve... My 28 the X is about 1" ABOVE the bottom of the sponsons . I will confirm and let you know , I think on your 26 they probally went as high as the could with the space they had in the hull . I think you could go up 3" and be fine . As far as the box on the other boat that is a very cool setup from merc with steering inside the unit . My understanding when I built my 30 Daytona years ago the box is there to lengthen the boat and allow the water to rise off the transom to raise the X even more . This is really only effective on boats that run well over a 100 into the 130 to 150 range .

On the slower boats like my 28 that only tops out at 108 it did not make sense to put boxes on it and to prove it someone built the same boat as mine and installed boxes and it ran about 4 mph slower . That conquest looks great and I would probally NOT mess with it except for a shorty lower would help as well . As far as your Force I think going up will REALLY help the top end and do little to hurt your holeshot ....

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve... My 28 the X is about 1" ABOVE the bottom of the sponsons . I will confirm and let you know , I think on your 26 they probally went as high as the could with the space they had in the hull . I think you could go up 3" and be fine . As far as the box on the other boat that is a very cool setup from merc with steering inside the unit . My understanding when I built my 30 Daytona years ago the box is there to lengthen the boat and allow the water to rise off the transom to raise the X even more . This is really only effective on boats that run well over a 100 into the 130 to 150 range . On the slower boats like my 28 that only tops out at 108 it did not make sense to put boxes on it and to prove it someone built the same boat as mine and installed boxes and it ran about 4 mph slower . That conquest looks great and I would probally NOT mess with it except for a shorty lower would help as well . As far as your Force I think going up will REALLY help the top end and do little to hurt your holeshot ....
thanks paul, when you coming to mead? I've got a place for you to stay and park
your boat,
were going bullhead bully style at mead today, gonna try to run 95 gals
thru the 525!!

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Hi Steve... My 28 the X is about 1" ABOVE the bottom of the sponsons . I will confirm and let you know , I think on your 26 they probally went as high as the could with the space they had in the hull . I think you could go up 3" and be fine . As far as the box on the other boat that is a very cool setup from merc with steering inside the unit . My understanding when I built my 30 Daytona years ago the box is there to lengthen the boat and allow the water to rise off the transom to raise the X even more . This is really only effective on boats that run well over a 100 into the 130 to 150 range . On the slower boats like my 28 that only tops out at 108 it did not make sense to put boxes on it and to prove it someone built the same boat as mine and installed boxes and it ran about 4 mph slower . That conquest looks great and I would probally NOT mess with it except for a shorty lower would help as well . As far as your Force I think going up will REALLY help the top end and do little to hurt your holeshot ....
Good stuff there Bully...;)

·
Lord of the Drinks
2,352 Posts
I believe your Conquest has the ITS setup. The box moves the prop leverage point farther back, giving more leverage to any positive trim....and will help you carry the nose better.

Also, like Bullhead Bully pointed out, the cleaner water will help the prop bite (the same can be accomplished with a notched transom).

The downside is that when you put a box on, it makes the prop sit deeper in the water, since the attack angle of the hull is not completely level. That's why you need something like 1" shorter drive for every 3" on the box...just to keep the same "X" as without the box. So if someone just put a box on (without a shorty), it would be like lowering your "X" a couple inches.

To fix this, you can raise the motor with a raised box, or put a shorty on. Obviously, the shorty is easier on boats with a low deck height.

I agree with Bullhead Bully, it looks like Conquest put the X as high as they could without getting into the swimstep? I bet Keith could shed some light on a higher-X setup on that hull...

·
OBC Gestapo
1,221 Posts
I agree with H H , one last thing try short lowers BEFORE you write the big check . The boat builders should help you with this , after all it makes there boat run better and is good PR .

I have a friend who had a 26' cat and put the shorty on and gained almost nothing. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.....:)devil

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
I think you have found good info here from bullhead bully and HH. I am sure that there may be some effect related to location of box and you hitting the rev limiter, however those two things need to be looked at seperatly. Remember its not too hot yet and if you are gonna hit rev limiter now, you may not when things heat up soon.

·
"BOUGHT NOT BUILT"
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with H H , one last thing try short lowers BEFORE you write the big check . The boat builders should help you with this , after all it makes there boat run better and is good PR .

I have a friend who had a 26' cat and put the shorty on and gained almost nothing. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.....:)devil
I put the shortys, back up to 78/79mph with the boat loaded,

now bumping the rev with 26p props, got some 27 hydros coming

should see 80+

1 - 8 of 8 Posts