Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine has this POS 4winns 17' that he is try to get running and he is telling me it is a 1984.
I told him hell no it isn't, maybe a early 70's at best. Anyway to tell year of manufactured from the HUL ID?

HUL ID # 4WN24421M84B170

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
A buddy of mine has this POS 4winns 17' that he is try to get running and he is telling me it is a 1984.
I told him hell no it isn't, maybe a early 70's at best. Anyway to tell year of manufactured from the HUL ID?

HUL ID # 4WN24421M84B170
Looks like a 1970 to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a 1970 to me.
That's what I thought as well but now second guessing my thoughts.
It's a Marquise 170 model and that may explain the last 3 digits of 170?
Also has 84 in the HULL # as well...

Anyway this thing is a POS that has sat in the sun/elements for some time and has a Merc 115 on it that has issues.
He has dumped about $700 bucks in the engine (before coming to me) and now I find both switch boxes are bad to start.
Told him to part out the engine and take the hull to the dump and save his money for another project.
Not sure he will listen though...

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Easy to resolve. the HIn is correct until the 170. thi is a 1984 boat. look at the molded HIN and you may find out the 170 is after the HIN seperated by an -. Or a mistake was made when it was first titled. All digits appear to be correct, just have the title corrected to eliminate the 170. In CA any peace officer can do that on a VIN verification form, then mail it to DMV.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Easy to resolve. the HIn is correct until the 170. thi is a 1984 boat. look at the molded HIN and you may find out the 170 is after the HIN seperated by an -. Or a mistake was made when it was first titled. All digits appear to be correct, just have the title corrected to eliminate the 170. In CA any peace officer can do that on a VIN verification form, then mail it to DMV.
Confirmed 1984 as that what his title says but look's like a 70 that has set in the elements for the past 42 years.
Told him tonight not to put anymore $ into it. Transom is rotted to crap and it appears the motor could actually snap off the remaining fiberglass that is keeping it on the boat!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts