Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you guys used to get the yellow off of plastic car/truck headlamps? It's for my little commuter car that i don't wanna buy new lights for at 180+ each! They're to the point where it's tough to see at night. The corrosion appears to be on the outside of the lenses, which is good i guess. Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
In some cases, depending on who the manufacturer is, the lenses are plastic and need to be buffed out. Some dealers do this or a detail shop can do it also. If you want to do it yourself, light compound and a buffer will do the trick.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Meguiars makes a Safe Cut/Ultimate Cut product that works well with hand buffing. Find and follow-up with a UV wax to slow the yellowing process.

·
C Ya on da lake
6,991 Posts
i dont know best way to clean them, however i do know that per the dmv, a dirty headlight is 50% less efficient... my question is "just how dirty is it?" focking test questions...arggg!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
they make kits for polishing them,many auto parts stores sell them.
but usually i can usually find them for cheap new through online sellers or a wholesale collision parts place i buy from, what kind of car is it? some lights polish out better than others too

·
Registered
880 Posts
Compound and a buffer. Some need to be wetsanded with 1500 and then buff. I just did a Lexus brake lights. And did my trucks brake lights. They come out brand new.

·
"Try it Now!"
3,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info, i'll try each one of your guy's recommendations till they get better. it's a 96 toyota paseo...yes a baller ride...but can't complain about the 8 gallon fillup at 38 mpg!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts