Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I moved from S.Cal to Coeur d'Alene Idaho about 15 years ago. Coming from that area you know how and are expected to launch and load your boat in a timely fashion. The Idaho Code states that you may not power launch or power load your boat. Here's how 99% launch and load up here. The husband prior to launching ties a rope to the bow and stern of the boat, throws bumpers on the sides. Backs the boat down into the water, he then pulls the boat off the trailer with the ropes and the wife stands on the dock holding the two lines while he takes the pulls the trailer out and then parks. Walks back and him and the wife then get into the boat and drive away. When they come back they use the same lines hooked to the bow and stern. Wife holds the boat on the dock while the husband goes and gets the trailer. They then pull the boat back onto the trailer with the ropes. Usually at the end of the day the dock is packed with these Ass Clowns pulling the boats on and off the trailers. If your behind an Ass Clown and your trailer comes down the ramp first, you have to pull your boat around the other Ass Clowns boat and drag it up to the trailer. TO ALL OF YOU ASS CLOWNS UP HERE, POWER LOADING AND LAUNCHING DOES NOT MEAN YOU CANNOT IDLE YOUR BOAT ON AND OFF THE TRAILER. POWER LOADING IS WHEN YOU ADD ADDITIONAL POWER ABOVE AN IDLE TO GET YOU BOAT ON OR OFFTHE TRAILER. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DO THIS DOG AND PONY SHOW. I know this for a fact because I have talked with the Sheriff. When I launch my boat I idle it on and off the trailer and the locals look at you like you just committed a felony! If people in Cali or AZ did this there would be fights and gun battles all day long. Sorry for the long post. I just had to vent my frustration..Tittyman

·
Administrator
11,646 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ass Clowns

You know if this is how they want to do this all day long, fine. But what they do is they back the boat down, pull the boat off and it stays right there. Now you cannot load or unload your boat because the other boat is right in the lane, tied to the dock with 15 other boats right behind that one, tied to the dock. Then the other dock in the other lane gets blocked and they all wait for the Ass Clown to come back down to the boat and leave. This happens all day long..

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts
Well, I guess the wife never has to learn to back a trailer or drive a boat that way :D Sounds ridiculous though.

Question, many of the larger boats seem to need extra power to get it up on the trailer. I know Debbolas's Kachina does as well as another friends Magic Deck. What then?

·
Desert Racing Widow
2,073 Posts

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Idaho

The people in Idaho are the best..they just haven't figured out how to launch and load a boat. When I idle my hydro past you Ass Clowns, don't look at me like I just committed a felony when I idle my boat to the trailer and were out of the water in less than 30 seconds...also move your floating turd out of the way so the rest of us can launch and load..thank you for listening. I feel so much better..

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
Well, I guess the wife never has to learn to back a trailer or drive a boat that way :D Sounds ridiculous though.

Question, many of the larger boats seem to need extra power to get it up on the trailer. I know Debbolas's Kachina does as well as another friends Magic Deck. What then?
Sink the trailer a little deeper.... Are you comin town?

I'm gonna make sure I launch my shiat like that next time..... ;)

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Power

The ramps and docks are plenty deep. If you have a real large boat and need to launch and load that way, no problem. But I'm talking about they all do this. Even little almn. fishing boats pull the boat up to the trailer with ropes. The few people that idle on and off are usually like me, from another state.

·
79 Sanger Picklefork
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ballers

Sink the trailer a little deeper.... Are you comin town?

I'm gonna make sure I launch my shiat like that next time..... ;)
You know what I'm talking about Southocg..if someone has a large boat and want to or need to launch and load that way, no problem. But when the dock is full of beat to crap junk, they still do the dog and pony show. But when some guy with a rowboat with an outboard attached to it, pulls his boat right up and waits for his buddy to come down with the trailer so they can pull the thing up..I'm surprised there has not been any gun fights. Maybe that's because we all got guns up here! The problem is that they think that they are breaking the law if they idle on or off. The signs at the launch site all say power loading or launching is illegal. They just don't know that you can idle on or off. So the dog and pony show just continues for generations to come..

·
Nordic 35' Flame
529 Posts

My Nordic needs to be powered on, otherwise when we pull out, the bow ends up off the bow stop a few inches. This usually only happens on very steep ramps but no matter how tight the winch strap is, once the boat settles onto the trailer, the bow lifts off the stop. To fix this, I power up a ways then tighten the winch strap...seems to work every time. Guess they'd have to lock me up and throw away the key...breakin' the law, breakin' the law!!!:)devil

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
In Illinois they drive the boat on the trailer and soon as the driver of the Truck feels a push they drive up the ramp. No tie downs not even on the Bow they just drive up the ramp and hope the best. After they are up the ramp the then tie everything down. I would at least tie down the bow before pulling up the ramp.

·
Sushi Inspector
2,387 Posts
The problem is that they think that they are breaking the law if they idle on or off. The signs at the launch site all say power loading or launching is illegal. ..

And all this time I thought I was getting away with it!!! [email protected]!

I guess it's not so bad down here in Boise tittyman. It is a test of patience though, especially when the water level is lower towards the beginning or end of summer and dock space only holds one boat on each side.

Here is a great story about ghost power loading though. I'm floating a few hundred yards off the launch ramp waiting for another friend to show up. As I'm waiting, a barney shows up with a brand new top of the line Master Craft wakeboat. His tow vehicle is a brand new big Lexus SUV. Both trailer and truck sporting paper license plates.
The guy has two small kids with him. First he backs down. Or should I say, attempts to back down the ramp. After several attempts he finally gets the boat wet. Utilizing the dock, he then procedes to load the boat with all of his shit he is taking out of the SUV and into the boat. You know the routine.
Next, after holding the launch line up for twenty minutes, he starts the boat and tries to back it off the trailer but, to no avail even after several attempts at full throttle for minutes at a time.

The guy then turns the boat off and pulls it back out of the water, looks the boat over, disconnects the trailer bow winch line from the boat. Alas, he backs the boat back into the water and, once again, after several attempts.

He then gets back out of his Lexus, jumps into the boat, fires it up, and does some more full throttle reverse thrusts churning up the water like it was a class 5 rapid not realizing his stern straps are still hooked on to the boat.

It gets better.

He tries a few more times jamming it into reverse and then into forward at full throttle. He then decides to pull the brand new Mastercraft out of the water while leaving the motor on and in reverse and definitely way above idle speed. But, as he is getting out of the boat, this time exiting from the bow, he steps on the tongue of the trailer and slips, putting a huge profusely bloody gash on the front of his shin. Then, his patience wears thin. He starts screaming at his kids and they are in total shock looking like deer in headlights.

He then tries to back the boat into the water while its running in reverse with the kids sitting in the boat by themselves. He gets a running start and submerges the boat and almost the Lexus. Of course, the boat doesn't go anywhere.

His next step of brilliance was towing the boat out of the water while it was running in reverse and takes off. He drove over a mile to the next launch ramp with the boat running.
I'm not sure if someone helped him launch at the next ramp but, I'm sure he will never forget that day. I know I wont.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
And all this time I thought I was getting away with it!!! [email protected]!

I guess it's not so bad down here in Boise tittyman. It is a test of patience though, especially when the water level is lower towards the beginning or end of summer and dock space only holds one boat on each side.

Here is a great story about ghost power loading though. I'm floating a few hundred yards off the launch ramp waiting for another friend to show up. As I'm waiting, a barney shows up with a brand new top of the line Master Craft wakeboat. His tow vehicle is a brand new big Lexus SUV. Both trailer and truck sporting paper license plates.
The guy has two small kids with him. First he backs down. Or should I say, attempts to back down the ramp. After several attempts he finally gets the boat wet. Utilizing the dock, he then procedes to load the boat with all of his shit he is taking out of the SUV and into the boat. You know the routine.
Next, after holding the launch line up for twenty minutes, he starts the boat and tries to back it off the trailer but, to no avail even after several attempts at full throttle for minutes at a time.

The guy then turns the boat off and pulls it back out of the water, looks the boat over, disconnects the trailer bow winch line from the boat. Alas, he backs the boat back into the water and, once again, after several attempts.

He then gets back out of his Lexus, jumps into the boat, fires it up, and does some more full throttle reverse thrusts churning up the water like it was a class 5 rapid not realizing his stern straps are still hooked on to the boat.

It gets better.

He tries a few more times jamming it into reverse and then into forward at full throttle. He then decides to pull the brand new Mastercraft out of the water while leaving the motor on and in reverse and definitely way above idle speed. But, as he is getting out of the boat, this time exiting from the bow, he steps on the tongue of the trailer and slips, putting a huge profusely bloody gash on the front of his shin. Then, his patience wears thin. He starts screaming at his kids and they are in total shock looking like deer in headlights.

He then tries to back the boat into the water while its running in reverse with the kids sitting in the boat by themselves. He gets a running start and submerges the boat and almost the Lexus. Of course, the boat doesn't go anywhere.

His next step of brilliance was towing the boat out of the water while it was running in reverse and takes off. He drove over a mile to the next launch ramp with the boat running.
I'm not sure if someone helped him launch at the next ramp but, I'm sure he will never forget that day. I know I wont.
LMAO!! Great stuff!! :)devil

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Not all big boats need to power on, I just idle on with my Cigarrete and tighten the strap, if it is a shallow ramp sometimes the rear tires of the truck are in the water.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Wicky, great story. I'm thinking the dumb ass forgot the tiedown on the stearn. Beautiful.

BTW It's hard to imagine not backing the boat off , or loading the boat on the trailer, without using the motor. Here, if you see someone pushing or pulling a boat on the trailer, it pretty much means they broke down. Just strange.

Darrell.

·
"On the road again..."
9,356 Posts
I launched and picked up my Brother in law's 22' in MI which is also a no power load state. I backed down until the boat floated and idled off while my wife pulled the trailer away and on return idled onto the trailer she'd backed down just a little deeper than normal, and used the hand winch to pull it the last 12". Took about 30 seconds launching, 60 seconds loading.

An old man came running up and yelling at me on the load claiming "power load, power load." I calmly replied that I was idling and that power loading refers to revving the engine enough to push the boat on the trailer creating propwash. What I did was perfectly legal. About this time a DNR officer drives up and "Old Fart" runs over and starts his demands fpr my arrest. The officer asks my side which I explain and he informs "Old Fart" what I did was leagal and proper and he wished more boaters would understand this to be proper procedure. It would save a lot of ramp delays and needless arguments.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts