Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys... in your opinion, what would you consider the top 3 V or modified-V jet boat hulls of the 70's and 80's? I'm actually helping someone locate a boat right now and I hope to be in the market myself shortly. I'm biased to Hondo's because we had a T-Deck jet in the family when I was young and I swore that's all I would own if I ever bought one myself but I've read some things recently that have led me to possibly re-think my decision. Speed is definitely the key factor I'm looking for but quality has to be top notch also.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been reading a lot about the different Rogers hulls and it seems almost everyone agrees they made a quality product and most of the hulls are capable of speed.

Thanks for the responses so far but please keep sharing your opinions.

·
Registered
480 Posts
https://youtu.be/hFjvDNpk6Dk So I have to run against tunnels. After some seat time I am ready to (saved every penny)!!! my semi vee will get more HP but will still be to light. 700lb hull. She hates confused seas. Wont stay in the water. In line chop is fine, actually fun, but wayward wakes are killers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
700 lbs is not light by any means ... What size boat are you looking for I have an 18ft that ways less than 375 and I run it in Parker

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
700 lbs is not light by any means ... What size boat are you looking for I have an 18ft that ways less than 375 and I run it in Parker
I'm actually helping my cousin find a boat right now and he's looking at a couple different Rogers but he may not end up with either one. I would like to be in the market soon so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. I will more than likely start searching for a specific hull or two based on the responses I get. I would want an 18'-19' boat.

How do the weight ranges breakdown for hulls as far as light, medium, and heavy layups are concerned?

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Depends on what you consider fast. My Rogers design Advantage was very stable up to around 70, but the more you air it out, the greater tendency to chine walk. It was never unnerving above 70, it would just "talk" to you and let you know it was on the pump. Some people may not enjoy the feeling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depends on what you consider fast. My Rogers design Advantage was very stable up to around 70, but the more you air it out, the greater tendency to chine walk. It was never unnerving above 70, it would just "talk" to you and let you know it was on the pump. Some people may not enjoy the feeling.
Which Rogers hull do/did you have? I would like to be around 85 mph with right at 600-650 hp. That may not be obtainable with a modified-v but I was sure hoping it would be.

·
Steve
402 Posts
I had an 18' Rogers Bonneville. Sold it a couple years ago, been kicking myself ever since. One of the best boats I've ever owned. It ran a solid 82mph with around 500hp. I could hold a soda in one hand and steer with the other all day long at any speed. Flat water, choppy water, didn't matter.

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Mike, wasn't yours an open bow?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had an 18' Rogers Bonneville. Sold it a couple years ago, been kicking myself ever since. One of the best boats I've ever owned. It ran a solid 82mph with around 500hp. I could hold a soda in one hand and steer with the other all day long at any speed. Flat water, choppy water, didn't matter.
Nice looking boat! This is what I mainly read about the Rogers. Most have said the 18' Bonneville and Super Cyclone are not as stable as the 19 TR for a couple different reasons which I totally understand but I'm still betting the 18 can handle decent chop at 85 mph.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a question why not build a 19 ft gullwing
I really like the looks of a modified-V jet but if there's not enough options to hit 85-90 on 650 hp then I may go another route. Heck, I've already thought about a gullwing and a picklefork so who knows. I'm not super crazy about the gullwing look but the gel/paint design of some definitely help. I've seen some nice ones on here for sure.

·
Seriously off center
2,439 Posts
Picked this up a few weeks ago. It's a Canyon tunnel which is basically a Placecraft with a modified deck. Every hull will have it's own pros and cons and the right one is what best suits your intended use. For me, good manners in chop and a nice shutdown was a priority. Some hulls are less stable at higher speeds, some are notorious for a tendency for pitching people on hard shutdown.
For me, function first, looks second.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Picked this up a few weeks ago. It's a Canyon tunnel which is basically a Placecraft with a modified deck. Every hull will have it's own pros and cons and the right one is what best suits your intended use. For me, good manners in chop and a nice shutdown was a priority. Some hulls are less stable at higher speeds, some are notorious for a tendency for pitching people on hard shutdown.
For me, function first, looks second.
Nice Boat! Does it have the same bottom as the Placecraft that Bill Oxidean is restoring?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts