Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mr Wilkes,

Im not sure if you remember me or not, I bought Bob's 01 HTM that you guys redid with the procharger motor.

A Friend and myself are looking at some V-drive Schiada's and maybe Hallets. I dont think there are any V-drive Schiada's here in the midwest and we are VERY interested in doing something with these.

"I" really want to know one thing, how hard do these things pull ? lol :)

How are these boats cornering at high speeds, how about the ride quality ?

I know they race these boats in the Ocean, but when you are racing, the last thing you are worried about is comfort.

V-drives are new to us over here, I'm ready to try something new.

Any chance you know of anyone with a nice 1000+ hp boat ? I think I really need to ride in one to see if its the direction I want to go.

Thanks for your help Jim.

Mike Balich

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any other v-drive guys care to comment? I would love to learn more about the famed River Cruiser type of rides with TT BBC power! How much power is required to run an honest 100, 105, 110 ETC? Any major negatives or major headaches associated with a v-driven 3500 LB hull with big power? I currently have a 23' WPM with decent power and there is a constant thought of Bravo breakage. I know motors pretty well, but what about the drivetrain on a v-drive with enough power to get one of the River Cruisers to the century mark? Please also comment on the performance in terms of acceleration and handling. We boat on a small lake so acceleration is more realistic than the top end potential our cats can run.

Thanks,

Craig

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Wette Vette has talked to Lee on numerous occasions, we will have to look into that.

Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
21 Schiadas/ Halletts

Have been in ski racing for the past 10 or so years both these boat work real well handle nice corner great depending who rigged them u can bet that you put a 1000 hp in one or the other you will have a 100 mph set up.You can check out nwsra . net for boats for sale or contact Lee or prime marine the come across nice used set ups all the time.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have been in ski racing for the past 10 or so years both these boat work real well handle nice corner great depending who rigged them u can bet that you put a 1000 hp in one or the other you will have a 100 mph set up.You can check out nwsra . net for boats for sale or contact Lee or prime marine the come across nice used set ups all the time.
Thank you for the response. I will definitely check out nwsra and prime marine.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've owned my 21' Schiada V drive Cruiser longer than I've had kids! I love it and to answer your question about the ride etc. Let me say that one of the funnest parts of boating is putting someone new into the front seat and going for a ride in what appears to be rough
water. Then you get out there to discover that it is actually "very" rough water. Put the
plate down, mash the throttle and use your HP to control the boat! I've often said that Schiadas are not neceessarily "fast" boats but they're boats that can be made to go fast
and to do so very well. The look on the "first timers" face as we dance across the water
at speeds that you won't believe is unforgettable. The feeling you get going through the real beat up water needs to be experienced to be believed and the look of awe you get
as you idle in the channel when people realize that you have a Schiada.

Sure they are expensive but they're worth it!

·
I'm famous !
7,043 Posts
Wilkes probably forgot the password to his computer, again. ;)
Naw - he has the unfortuate job of test driving boats with beautiful models .. ohh and that testing thing :)

·
Boat Test GURU
516 Posts
Thanks Boys

Mike I will tell you what I know about the Schaida and give you some information on some of the ones I have worked on and driven.

First. Almost all the Schiada's I have driven and built have been outstanding, well built, heavy boats. Most of the boats were built in the early to late 80"s.
Only one Schiada that I worked on had BAD fiberglass crackes all over the sides and bottom of the hull.

Schiada's have a great ride as long as you keep the keel in the water. If you lift the bow out of the water to increase speed, that secure ride starts to take on a different personality.

Because the Schiada likes to ride somewhat flat it takes a great deal of HORSEPOWER to push the boat forward.

I hear storys of 21 Schiada's running 115 to 120 MPH but I have never seen one do it. I believe Hanks Red #17 may be the fastest Schiada I have seen run.

Not only does it go fast but he can drive the hell out of it. Hanks boat is powered by a big Turbo engine.

In my opinion Turbo Power is the best way to go. Everything being equal Turbo Engines make more usable power.

As I mentioned before the Schiada is a great ski race boat and an outstading river crusier, but it takes a ton of HP to make the run fast.

JW

·
Registered
974 Posts
I was always told a schiada won't go over 100 mph without porposing like a dolphin. haha

·
Registered
200 Posts
Len Schiada built a 19' ft for me in 1970 for SS it was a great performer. Ran 117 MPH BBC.

I drove and raced many hulls, Lens was the greatest. Len and his wife Doreen were teriffic people. Lee Spindler has kept the same quality maybe even more. A pristen boat to own.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hello Mr Wilkes,

Im not sure if you remember me or not, I bought Bob's 01 HTM that you guys redid with the procharger motor.

A Friend and myself are looking at some V-drive Schiada's and maybe Hallets. I dont think there are any V-drive Schiada's here in the midwest and we are VERY interested in doing something with these.

"I" really want to know one thing, how hard do these things pull ? lol :)

How are these boats cornering at high speeds, how about the ride quality ?

I know they race these boats in the Ocean, but when you are racing, the last thing you are worried about is comfort.

V-drives are new to us over here, I'm ready to try something new.

Any chance you know of anyone with a nice 1000+ hp boat ? I think I really need to ride in one to see if its the direction I want to go.

Thanks for your help Jim.

Mike Balich
You are on the right track, I'm looking into one myself, there are none in the midwest, I'm sure depending on the gear / prop combination which is critical, the proper cav plate adjustment, those boats will run an honest 92 to 95 mph, glue U to the seat upon acceleration and not break drivetrain parts with just a warmed up 502................... I have blown a lot of '100 mph" boats off the face of the earth with a flat that runs true 90's............... The flat beats an ol' guy to death as a daily driver.............. The V bottom V drives are a great compromise........................

·
Registered
139 Posts
You are on the right track, I'm looking into one myself, there are none in the midwest, I'm sure depending on the gear / prop combination which is critical, the proper cav plate adjustment, those boats will run an honest 92 to 95 mph, glue U to the seat upon acceleration and not break drivetrain parts with just a warmed up 502................... I have blown a lot of '100 mph" boats off the face of the earth with a flat that runs true 90's............... The flat beats an ol' guy to death as a daily driver.............. The V bottom V drives are a great compromise........................
What is warmed up? I have a '97 21'RC with a 540cid BBC 567HP and 698tq runs just over 70.

Give it 1000HP and it's good for right at to over 100.

HTMIKE - At 100MPH the Schiada is quite stable and solid as long as you keep the nose down (like Jim said). There have been some make their way to the midwest. Parnelli Jones old boat is back there somewhere. One of the members of this forum 76Schiada just brought one back from Wisconsin or somewhere like that. Awesome boats. If you want room for stuff go with the 22'. There is one for sale in Boat Spam sect. The bottom of the 21 and 22 is exactly the same. Developed in 1972 by Leonard Schiada, the first 22 was build and tagged as a 1973 (we used to have a '73 22' v-drive) in 1975 for ski racing rules which stated that overall hull length could not exceed 21' (the 22' is actually 21'7") Leonard took a 22 bottom out of the mold and cut the top edge down until it was 21' built a new mold top and bottom and now you have a 21RC. The only real difference between the 21 and 22 is 7" length a few inches in freeboard and weight. Hope to welcome you to Schiada they are a fantastic boats. You should have made a trip to Parker AZ this weekend. There will be many examples of all the fine Schiada's out there. Some of them for sale too!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What is warmed up? I have a '97 21'RC with a 540cid BBC 567HP and 698tq runs just over 70.

Give it 1000HP and it's good for right at to over 100.

HTMIKE - At 100MPH the Schiada is quite stable and solid as long as you keep the nose down (like Jim said). There have been some make their way to the midwest. Parnelli Jones old boat is back there somewhere. One of the members of this forum 76Schiada just brought one back from Wisconsin or somewhere like that. Awesome boats. If you want room for stuff go with the 22'. There is one for sale in Boat Spam sect. The bottom of the 21 and 22 is exactly the same. Developed in 1972 by Leonard Schiada, the first 22 was build and tagged as a 1973 (we used to have a '73 22' v-drive) in 1975 for ski racing rules which stated that overall hull length could not exceed 21' (the 22' is actually 21'7") Leonard took a 22 bottom out of the mold and cut the top edge down until it was 21' built a new mold top and bottom and now you have a 21RC. The only real difference between the 21 and 22 is 7" length a few inches in freeboard and weight. Hope to welcome you to Schiada they are a fantastic boats. You should have made a trip to Parker AZ this weekend. There will be many examples of all the fine Schiada's out there. Some of them for sale too!
Sounds like you have a great trouble free package that works like the everready bunny............ I would have thought with a 540 that it would run at least 80. They must be laid up really heavy and strong.................... I've convinced myself I want one from everything I've been reading.................. only a matter of time now............... I'm not any good at buying and selling.................. got a bad habit of buying and keeping...................... Peace!!!!!!

·
Red Blooded American
15,853 Posts
We've built and run flats for three decades and finally the wife bugged us enough to look into a "Family Boat." The boys and I did our homework and bought a 21' River Cruiser a few years back from a ski racer. It came from sea level so we needed to re-jet the boat a bit. It was a twin turbo just under 500" BBC w/40% gears and a TH400. After getting it dialed in my son Paul ran me up in the MPH a bit with me in the observer's seat. He clocked an easy 75 MPH and I was just fine with that for a top speed facing backwards holding on to my extremities when I gave him the thumbs-up and he shook his head "no." Turns out he was just running it up in second gear to test things out. He drops it into high and took off. The last few hairs blew out of my head as we clocked a GPS 102 before he softened it back to 70 and turned for home. I knew then that this boat would fly. I've since driven the boat a bunch myself and I'll attest to the excellent package that is the Schiada 21' River Cruiser. We just bolted a fresh Merlin Pro 560+ CI power plant in last evening with all new turbos, freshened trans, Velasco crank, Carillo rods, Venolia Pistons, a hydraulic roller cam and many other very nice goodies and internals. Mama even reupholstered the entire interior to match the "old school" gel coat. We'll know in a few days if it's all it could be but I'll never doubt the hull's performance. That layup is one for the ages!!!

As has been said, depending upon who rigged the boat you will probably be purchasing your last cruiser ever. Mine is not for sale.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
We've built and run flats for three decades and finally the wife bugged us enough to look into a "Family Boat." The boys and I did our homework and bought a 21' River Cruiser a few years back from a ski racer. It came from sea level so we needed to re-jet the boat a bit. It was a twin turbo just under 500" BBC w/40% gears and a TH400. After getting it dialed in my son Paul ran me up in the MPH a bit with me in the observer's seat. He clocked an easy 75 MPH and I was just fine with that for a top speed facing backwards holding on to my extremities when I gave him the thumbs-up and he shook his head "no." Turns out he was just running it up in second gear to test things out. He drops it into high and took off. The last few hairs blew out of my head as we clocked a GPS 102 before he softened it back to 70 and turned for home. I knew then that this boat would fly. I've since driven the boat a bunch myself and I'll attest to the excellent package that is the Schiada 21' River Cruiser. We just bolted a fresh Merlin Pro 560+ CI power plant in last evening with all new turbos, freshened trans, Velasco crank, Carillo rods, Venolia Pistons, a hydraulic roller cam and many other very nice goodies and internals. Mama even reupholstered the entire interior to match the "old school" gel coat. We'll know in a few days if it's all it could be but I'll never doubt the hull's performance. That layup is one for the ages!!!

As has been said, depending upon who rigged the boat you will probably be purchasing your last cruiser ever. Mine is not for sale.
I'm convinced, I gotta have one!!!!! Thanks for the in put, a boat like that is totally me!!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts