Performance Boats Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never played with exhaust that short before and was wondering if any one has ran zoomies on a non race boat? Or if some one knows from experience if they are to short for 5-10 min worth of idle times and some 15-30 min times of running 20-50mph without stopping, are valves going to burn up pretty fast under these conditions or would there be no issues or maybe some issues burning valves? Should they be dry or wet? If they are wet would that help dissipate more/enough heat to keep from burning them up? Sorry if some think this is a stupid question i just haven't had any experience running pipes that short on anything and really prefer to not learn by trial and error on this one. And I'm sorry if you think that zoomies are over kill on a cruising the lake boat instead of 8-10 sec intervals boat, (it's a long story) but once again thank you guys again in advance for the insight and .02!!

·
"BOATLESS"
3,468 Posts
So I have never played with exhaust that short before and was wondering if any one has ran zoomies on a non race boat? Or if some one knows from experience if they are to short for 5-10 min worth of idle times and some 15-30 min times of running 20-50mph without stopping, are valves going to burn up pretty fast under these conditions or would there be no issues or maybe some issues burning valves? Should they be dry or wet? If they are wet would that help dissipate more/enough heat to keep from burning them up? Sorry if some think this is a stupid question i just haven't had any experience running pipes that short on anything and really prefer to not learn by trial and error on this one. And I'm sorry if you think that zoomies are over kill on a cruising the lake boat instead of 8-10 sec intervals boat, (it's a long story) but once again thank you guys again in advance for the insight and .02!!
On a river boat (non Blown) the shortest header you should run should be the rewarder layback headers ( if that), zoomies will loose bottom end performance. These rewarders are annoying focking loud, I can only imagine a zoomie on this boat. I can hear this boat come up on my side over my motor and I run short rewarder twisty headers.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Need em loud!

On a river boat (non Blown) the shortest header you should run should be the rewarder layback headers ( if that), zoomies will loose bottom end performance. These rewarders are annoying focking loud, I can only imagine a zoomie on this boat. I can hear this boat come up on my side over my motor and I run short rewarder twisty headers.

Well the loudest thing I can get is what I'm going for is the thing! Haha and I knew I would chance my power output range would really change! That's fine because its only going to be a couple times to the water that ill use them! But will they damage valves?

·
6TH STREET MAFIA PRES.
1,493 Posts
Well the loudest thing I can get is what I'm going for is the thing! Haha and I knew I would chance my power output range would really change! That's fine because its only going to be a couple times to the water that ill use them! But will they damage valves?
No they won't hurt the valves. I run wAter through mine on long drives to knock down the noise and keep the po po happy.

·
Registered
854 Posts
The zoomies should not hurt your engine............but you will hate them , too f*cking loud . better get some earplugs:knockout:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water?

What exactly is the point of running OT's wet? Is it for mechanical purposes ie head and valve heat dissipation? Or is it just to try to keep the pipes as cool as possible because they are exposed and for noise control? Thanks guys

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
More info about the engine involved would be helpful for example is this a blower motor , or simple lake boat low HP N/A deal ? etc not a stupid question at all just to much info needed than whats presented to answer the ?? :)Unsure..

What exactly is the point of running OT's wet? Is it for mechanical purposes ie head and valve heat dissipation? Or is it just to try to keep the pipes as cool as possible because they are exposed and for noise control? Thanks guys
Multiple reasons re the water injection , not withstanding safety (heat issues ) and in some cases law compliance , noise is reduced by the water injection to some degree

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info about the engine involved would be helpful for example is this a blower motor , or simple lake boat low HP N/A deal ? etc not a stupid question at all just to much info needed than whats presented to answer the ?? :)Unsure..

Multiple reasons re the water injection , not withstanding safety (heat issues ) and in some cases law compliance , noise is reduced by the water injection to some degree

It's a N/A low HP lake boat mild 396 mild bore mild cam that type of thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you want to do this (zoomies) for "the look" or the noise factor or "economics" ?

Well it stared off as just for the noise and as I was looking around the looks really grew on me! I really like the looks of the rewarder lay backs like in the picture on the blue boat earlier in this thread but I don't have the $ for a set of those guys rite now!!!

·
mo balls than $cents$
11,734 Posts
Alter ego had a pair of schoenfeld upswepts with fresh coating and evacs for sale that sound nice

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Well it stared off as just for the noise and as I was looking around the looks really grew on me! I really like the looks of the rewarder lay backs like in the picture on the blue boat earlier in this thread but I don't have the $ for a set of those guys rite now!!!
On a low HP lake boat the Zoomies will be obnoxouisly noisey, and the motor will not like them and they will be more likely net to you a ticket on a lot of lakes , you'll have better performance and better sound with a set of conventional 4 tube water injected headers , I have the rewarders your referring and I like the look however theyre also probably not appropriate for your application

1 - 13 of 13 Posts